Bow Eye Replacement!

Well somehow the bow eye broke, I am still able to hook it up on the front half fortunately... but the question now is how do I replace this thing? It’s sandwiched under the trolling motor tray and seems impossible to get to unless I cut a hole in the trays floor. Any tips out there to avoid this? I don’t think it would cause issues cutting the hole but I just wanna avoid that. Boat is a 2000 Outlaw.

Thanks guys!

2. Member
    You will have to use a hole saw and drill through the tray. I took a piece of metal and painted it black to match the boat to cover the holes. I replaced mine about a month ago. It want take but a hour or so to do.

I drilled 2 holes. I found some white plastic plugs at Lowes and drilled the hole so they would fit. Siliconed them in after replacing bow eye. You can't even see them once the graph and trolling motor pedal is mounted back in. Make sure and silicone where the bow eye bolts go in the hull.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    I had to drill two holes also.

5. Member
    My friend has a 2000 2100 he removed the trolling motor plug plate and went through it, he has replaced 3 bow eyes ! He had to re route the winch strap to fix the problem.....
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

6. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys! Sounds like I’ll be breaking out the drill! My top cap is silver flak so it’ll be a bit hard to mask but there’s a lot going on up there to cover it anyway.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    Well somehow the bow eye broke, I am still able to hook it up on the front half fortunately... but the question now is how do I replace this thing? It’s sandwiched under the trolling motor tray and seems impossible to get to unless I cut a hole in the trays floor. Any tips out there to avoid this? I don’t think it would cause issues cutting the hole but I just wanna avoid that. Boat is a 2000 Outlaw.

Thanks guys!
    Gambler Bow Eye Replacement

Description

To access the 9/16” lock nuts holding the bow eye in place, you will need to create a 1” access hole above each leg of the bow eye. These holes will be drilled in the narrow channel in the front deck recess. Once the replacement is complete you can cover the 1” holes with a strip of plastic or aluminum flat stock using a marine adhesive.

Procedure

1. The bow eye is located under the recessed area that contains the depth finder and the trolling motor foot pedal. Remove the depth finder and bracket along with the foot pedal.
    2. To determine the proper location for the 1” access holes, you will need a straight rod about two feet (24”) long. Have someone hold the rod with the bottom of the rod in the small channel in the bottom of the recess. You will need to stand back from the side of the boat looking directly at the bow eye. Have the person move the rod until it is lined up directly over one leg of the bow eye. Drill a 3/8” hole at the base of the rod to create visual access. Look in the hole to see if you are in alignment with the leg of the bow eye. You should have a good idea how far you need to correct to be directly over the bow eye leg.
    3. Using a 1” hole saw, drill a hole over each leg of the bow eye.
    4. With a deep 9/16 socket, remove the lock nuts.
    5. You can now install your replacement bow eye, sealing the holes with a silicone adhesive.
    6. Using either plastic or aluminum flat stock, cover the 1” access holes using a marine adhesive.
    7. Replace the depth finder, bracket and foot pedal.

DISCLAIMER: This information is for general informational purposes only. The information is provided by Gambler Bass Boats and while we endeavor to provide up-to-date and correct information, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability with respect to the information. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from the use of this information.

8. Finally over 80
    This is great information! Can we get this pined?