Need help with the hole shot

Ok here is the set up. 2007 Tr176 with a 2006 Mercury 115EFI 4 stroke. Having a problem getting the boat on plane. Changed plugs, checked coils, new 4 blade spitfire prop pitched at 17P. Motor is on the middle hole of 5 holes. No jackplate. WOT running at 5500-6000 depending on trim. Why is this boat so damn hard to get on plane? All it’s doing is plowing water. 2ppl full wells tournament gear. Please help before I throw a stick of dynamite at it lol.

part of your problem is that aluminum prop
    going to a stainless steel prop with vent holes will allow you to custom tune the hole shot
    A 6 inch jack plate will help as well but a stainless prop with changeable vent plugs will make the biggest difference

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AreTheyBiting View Post
    part of your problem is that aluminum prop
    going to a stainless steel prop with vent holes will allow you to custom tune the hole shot
    A 6 inch jack plate will help as well but a stainless prop with changeable vent plugs will make the biggest difference
    I Would have to agree with the above statement! get a stainless steel prop and that should change everything and with you being able to take out the plugs will help out as well! I know a lot of guys running mercs with no plugs at all and they never have an issue!

4. Member
    I raised the motor to the 1st hole and it helped. I’m going to throw the 18P vengeance on it and see what it does.

5. Member
    Still dealing with this problem. Put a 5.5 jackplate on still issues. just bought a 17 pitch spitfire stainless with the pvs holes. pulled the plugs out fully and it blew out so im going to spend a day and play with the plugs. any suggestions on where to start?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amaatman View Post
    Still dealing with this problem. Put a 5.5 jackplate on still issues. just bought a 17 pitch spitfire stainless with the pvs holes. pulled the plugs out fully and it blew out so im going to spend a day and play with the plugs. any suggestions on where to start?
    Either put all the plugs in and pull one at a time and run it. Or, since you've got them all out, put one in at a time and run it.

7. Member
    If it came with all medium plugs put two back in and try it again. How high are you setting now prop to pad? You need to be close to 3" under.