Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Orochi XX Braillest?

Has anyone used this rod? Wondering how good it would be for jigs.

2. Member
    I had the same question ... is it versatile enough for frogs ? Swim jigs etc

3. Member
    Didn’t mean to hijack you’re thread, sorry about that .

It is still a few weeks out. No one outside the MB group has one yet and very few are floating around even for that. I handled a prototype a couple of months back when I was at the warehouse. I liked it a lot. I should have a couple any day now. It is like all MB XX rods in its versatility.

I would highly urge anyone that wants to grab one early to reserve one at a dealer as the first batch coming in is already sold out.

I fished the prototype for a day and its a fantastic jig rod. It has the right balance of power, sensitivity, and action. Out of all the models I had an opportunity to fish, the Braillist was a standout in the group. I'm looking forward to getting mine as I have one on reserve through The Tackle Trap of course

6. Member
    Cool. Thanks guys!

7. Member
    Based on limited use of the Braillest, how would it compare to the FMJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleiron View Post
    Based on limited use of the Braillest, how would it compare to the FMJ?
    The Braillist is more versatile and suited for multiple presentations more so than the FMJ.

9. Member
    Thanks. How does the Braillest compare to a GLX MBR 844?

Gary will chime in as I have not fished that model Loomis.

The GLX is a 7' Heavy, and there are more than one version. The Braillist is a 7'5" Medium Heavy/Heavy. I've only fished the Braillist for a day, but if I wanted a deep water jig rod, C-rig rod, big worm rod, I'd prefer the Braillist on length alone - and it's plenty sensitive. The 844 GLX is a versatile heavy powered 7' rod and a classic. I've tossed everything from big top waters to small umbrella rigs, jigs, T-rigs, skipping toads/frogs, etc. The Braillist feels like it will be versatile in it's own ways, but feels much more like a jig/plastic rod first and foremost.

12. Member
    Thanks for the info Gary

13. Member
    I wonder or if anyone would know how the Braillist would compare to the IMX pro Loomis CRR rods either their MH or Hvy 873/874? For Carolina rig fishing. The price is comparable to the IMX pro. I don't have the funds for the NRX's but I also like a full cork handle. Thx

14. Member
    Bit the bullet and put an order in for one. Using an Avid X for my jig rod now but have made improvements in my jig fishing by putting big fish in the boat. I can justify the upgrade mentally at least.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Bit the bullet and put an order in for one. Using an Avid X for my jig rod now but have made improvements in my jig fishing by putting big fish in the boat. I can justify the upgrade mentally at least.

Looking at the end of this month and they will be in stock.

16. Member

Late reply. Been using the Braillist for a month now and have liked the rod a lot. It is definitely a medium heavy but has plenty of power. I would not throw heavy jigs on it and probably only up to 1/2 oz Texas Rigs. I really am more used to 5 or 6 power rods for my situations fishing mainly milfoil and rock. I may keep the rod mainly for under 1/2 oz jigs and up to 3/8 Texas rigs maybe 1/2 oz depending on the weight of the bait I’m rigging. Will be an incredible Carolina rig rod for sure. Over all impression is. Excellent rod and would highly recommend for the ergonomics alone. Also a beautiful piece of craftsman ship.

18. Member
    Bassnn15,
    Do you typically use a med/heavy Carolina rod or Heavy? I just want to know as I think a med/hvy is to light for deep water Carolina rigging and I'm really afraid it will be to light after spending $300 for it and be disappointed. Your thoughts? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    Bassnn15,
    Do you typically use a med/heavy Carolina rod or Heavy? I just want to know as I think a med/hvy is to light for deep water Carolina rigging and I'm really afraid it will be to light after spending $300 for it and be disappointed. Your thoughts? Thx
    If that is the case you will not want the Braillist for a C rig rod. I would not want to go above 3/4oz on it myself on a C rig. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    If that is the case you will not want the Braillist for a C rig rod. I would not want to go above 3/4oz on it myself on a C rig. That's just me though.
    Agreed. I wouldn't go above 3/4 oz at all. In fact I use it for texas rigs mostly and 1/2 oz weight plus hook, plus plastic is heavy enough. I also wouldn't go above 1/2 oz on jigs either but that's my opinion. The handle,reel seat diameter is perfect. You wont want to put this rod down. Balance is really good as well. This is probably my all time favorite rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast