294xl death swaying?

So my 06 294 is having a really weird issue. When I'm at full throttle running 70-73 mph it will start swaying badly back and forth till I back off of it a little. It gets really bad like your going to lose control. Anyone have this problem before?

2. Member
    happens on all strats either jack up the plate a little as you are going or to control this you just have to jerk the wheel a little to the right to bring the boat back down on the pad because if you were in another boat alongside yours while this is going on you would see very little of your boats pad in the water if any at all.

This is called chine walking. There's a ton of information/videos out there on how to prevent it. Never try to drive "thru" it cause it will not end well. Seat time and experience will help you. Here's a good read to get you started:

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/new_page_2.htm

4. Member
    Awesome thank you guys!

Find a buddy or someone to drive it with you in the boat so you can see how it's done. Bring it down here sometime and I'll be happy to show you. Do you have a jack plate? What motor and prop are you running.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    raise motor some set at 3-3.25 ptp
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie7644 View Post
    So my 06 294 is having a really weird issue. When I'm at full throttle running 70-73 mph it will start swaying badly back and forth till I back off of it a little. It gets really bad like your going to lose control. Anyone have this problem before?
    I have an '04 295 Pro XL, which should be the same hull as yours. First, I made sure that I have a balanced load in my boat, and I don't have a tackle store in my boat. I've culled my tackle down to what works for me.

I have the same issue at over 74 mph on glass smooth water. I found that I regain control if I lower the HJP a touch. I may lose a few mph, but at least I'm in control. I found that a slight twitch on the steering wheel works as well on a slight chop. Both methods are dependent on water conditions.

The aforementioned articles linked in this thread are a great place to start, but they do not reference water conditions. My boat cruises and handles well at 65 mph, so I tend to stay in the 65 to 69 mph range when I'm 'gunning' from spot to spot on calmer waters, but 55 mph is where I save a lot on fuel on both calm and rougher waters.

I fish the Bay of Quinte/ Lake Ontario /Thousand Islands, so having conditions that allow for high speed running is a luxury.

Last edited by CDN Bass; 06-02-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

if you want to get it to the limit you have to learn to control the walk. fastest and safest way is to sit while someone else shows you how its done. after a bit you don't even realize your doing it its just normal driving.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

When the boat is all the way up on the pad there is not much surface touching the water. The rotation of the prop wants to throw the hull off to the side of the pad. You must keep the pad balanced by working the steering wheel...think of it like this...a person is walking a high wire and they have a beam in their hand to counteract for balance...the pad of the boat is your high wire and the steering wheel is you balance beam.

Watch the input he is putting into the steering wheel. Around the 1:50 and until the end of the video he purposely lets it get away from him multiple times and he shows how to get it back into control. The first 1:50 he is correcting it before it ever happens.

10. Member
    My 2017 294XLE walks around 66-69 MPH. Above that it is smooth. Takes a little practice to control, but once you get the hang of it you don't even think about it anymore.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksbass View Post
    My 2017 294XLE walks around 66-69 MPH. Above that it is smooth. Takes a little practice to control, but once you get the hang of it you don't even think about it anymore.
    My 294XL is the same ,starts about 66 smooths down at70 and starts a bit again at 75 time in the seat will help
    Last edited by dinkhunter; 06-06-2018 at 12:06 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkhunter View Post
    My 294XL is the same ,starts about 66 smooths down at70 and starts a bit again at 75 time in the set will help
    Exactlly the same, except my top speed is 73.5. When I switched to a Fury 4 it made the walk a little easier to correct. A bonus, hole shot and acceleration is awesome. When I put the boat in the water, it's loaded to fish.

13. Banned
    same

14. Member
    Exactlly the same, except my top speed is 73.5. When I switched to a Fury 4 it made the walk a little easier to correct. A bonus, hole shot and acceleration is awesome. When I put the boat in the water, it's loaded to fish.
    What pitch is your Fury 4 ? thanks

15. Member
    It's a 25 Fury 4. Had to have it blue printed. Out of the box it was no true to pitch.