Compound question

I have a 96 Ranger 491VS that has been garage kept it's entire life. The overall finish is pretty nice. I generally apply a polish once a year. The only dullness is on the fenders and I will likely follow the advice about wet sanding at some point. My question today is... would it be OK to use a mild rubbing compound on the gel this time before I apply the new wax? I thought it would take off any tough grime or whatever and maybe make it pop like new. I have a buffer and I know not to go too high with the settings. I don't think it needs the wet sanding just yet....gonna save that till next year maybe.
    So...any problems with a light compound before waxing? And is the buffer OK if used on a low setting? Also, what pad would be best for the compound? Wool maybe?

Thanks

2. Member
    I did my 95 481 a while back when I bought it with Meguiars 105 and 205 and the black and yellow meguiars pads. The result was amazing cloudy to like new shine, lasted 3 years or so then I brought it home and left it outside for a while both covered and uncovered which was a mistake, now a little cloud has come back but I plan to redo pretty soon and keep in the garage while at home.
    1995 Ranger 481VS Commanche
    1995 Mercury Blackmax 150 2.5L XRi

3M Marine Compound and Finishing Material or Protec Nu Paint Moisturizer with a wool “cutting” pad. With very little experience I would not buff at more than 1000 RPM. If it’s a darker color boat finish up with a 3M Perfect It 2 and a yellow “finishing” pad about 800 RPM. Finish with a good couple coats of Pro Tec Sealant Polish.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com