Thread: NEWTON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEWTON

Heading to Newton weekend of the 9th. New to us. Staying at Sportsman lodge. Are they still making power at the lake? Restaurants in Newton or head to Springfield. Any issues with theft at the ramps or?
    TIA
    Please release me,let me go.

2. Member
    There is a wonderful Italian/Pizza place in Newton... Joes. The bowling alley has good food. There is a mexican restaurant, Subway, Dairy Queen and a Hardees. I am not sure if they are still making power. I was thinking no.

3. Member
    I had heard it shut down and that has me concerned. Braidwood shut down a few weeks ago and finding fish was tough. But Newtons been down a while I think so we will adjust. Thanks

4. Member
    newton is still running one unit since september of 2016. It still has a schedule of off and on like many power plants . Maintenance shut downs are common at coffeen and I think it is similar at newton.

5. Member
    Newton still runs. I'm there every weekend year round. Yesterday it was mid 80s to 90 as far as I went on the hot side. The lake is on fire right now. Fish deep stay deep and move around and you'll catch them. We've been catching 10-15 keepers each time we go. It's been a blast the last couple weeks.

6. Member
    I think I saw you each of the last two Saturdays . You are right about the fishing plenty of quality and quantity .

7. Member
    Jkirch - what has you going to Newton over coffeen?

8. Member
    Each of the last two Saturdays dad and I caught five fish limits that would weigh 26-27 pounds. Most of those fish were skinny post spawn females . Just imagine how big they were in the spring . At coffeen you might get lucky and catch a few that big but at newton that is the norm . In general all the fish are bigger and stronger ,much stronger . You can catch a lot of fish in a day at coffeen with many under 15 inches . At newton you don't catch many under 15 inches . I just wish it wasn't so far away . Coffeen is half the drive that newton is but it is worth it most of the time .

9. Member
    Thank you! Never been there, might have to.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!

11. Member
    Fished Sunday Monday, Tuesday, monsoon rains in the mornings and around 6 at night. Lake was up about a foot or more Tuesday. Constant rolling thunder all day from the east west and south. Fished cold side. Most were caught in 10-15 feet. Got on striped bass for some rapid fire fun. Fishing was very good for 1st time there. Going back.

12. Member
    Anyone hear about a fish kill ? Amount,type etc.?

13. Member
    I saw a few dead shad and one or two smaller bass right on the ramp yesterday morning . That was it though . I thought it might have been from a catfishing boat . Last week I saw a pontoon throwing a cast net at the tube in the hot water . Other than yesterday the fishing has been alright . What have you seen or heard ? Newton is an awesome lake that I would hate to see take a turn for the worse .

14. Member
    I heard the same too but haven't been out. Just hear say from a friend of mine. He was out Thursday morning and said the water looked really nasty like a dark coffee color and there were dead fish floating around everywhere. He said he also fished for about 4 hours and never got a bite. I'd like to know what others have saw as well. One persons "a bunch" of dead fish could be different from another persons.

15. Member
    A friend told me the same thing about color and dead fish. That's why I posted the question. Could it be turnover or an algae bloom. Some big lakes recently have been devestated by both.

16. Member
    It was 94 and change at the hot ramp Wednesday evening....96 and change up at the hot side bend near the ash pond.

17. Member
    Dead shad and fish are a normal occurrence in lakes that have big temperature fluctuations.
    It is usually one guy who isn't catching and sees a couple of dead fish that starts the rumor.

18. Member
    Kodiak you may be right however the guy that I know would smoke most Newton Pros

19. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I just got back from fishing Newton with my son; our first time fishing this amazing fishery. We caught 25-30 bass, close to 2/3 keepers. Lost a giant at the boat that turned my NRX rod into a U. It would have surely been my biggest IL bass. I’ve never seen fish in this state fight as hard as Newton fish fight. It reminded me of being on the TN river system (Guntersville etc). Lots of people fishing for a week day as well. I’m beyond impressed and it was worth the 3am alarm. I’d have to say Newton is in perfect health.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

20. Member
    Yes the fish at newton fight like they are twice their size . They all have really thick backs also . I wonder if it is their food supply or something else that causes this . I fish coffeen and newton regularly . With both being power plant lakes there should some similarities between the two as far as growth rate ,current , and things of that nature . Something sure separates newton from the rest and not just the lengh limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast