Thread: Dropshot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Can you guys show how you rig your drops?

Just tie your hook(s) to the leader with a Palomar knot. After the knot is cinched down, put the tag end of the leader through the eye of the hook so that the hook(s) point(s) are upward. I'd bet there are twenty videos on YouTube showing this simple task!

2. Member
    Yup, palomar knot just as described above leaving a really long tag end.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    When you tie the Palomar, make sure you're running your line through the eye with the hook point on top. That way when you bring your line back up through the eye to double it, your tag end is sticking up. That way you just have to put the tag end back through the eye, and not wrap it around to bring it back through. Once tied just rotate your knot around the eye of the hook to make it stick out at a 90 degree angle.

If you put the hook through the loop with the point side going through first when tying a Palomar (instead of the bend first) you will end up with the point up without any need for pulling the tag end back through. If you want to do the tag end back through, put the bend through the loop first.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

If you tie the hook onto the leader first (as I described in post #10 of this thread)and then tie the leader onto the main line with the hook pointing up...IT WILL ALWAYS POINT UP.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Does anybody really tie the Palomar knot by shoving a loop through the hook eye? I stick the line through, then back through from the opposite side. Same result, but seems easier that way, to me.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Does anybody really tie the Palomar knot by shoving a loop through the hook eye? I stick the line through, then back through from the opposite side. Same result, but seems easier that way, to me.
    Yup getting waaayyy too complicated for something so simple

8. Member
    I use braid with fluorocarbon leader. I live on smith lake and drop shot often as our spots suspend over deep water. I like 6lb fluorocarbon leader

So I wasn't clear in my previous post. I mean to suggest putting the point through the loop first as in when you're passing the hook through just before cinching the knot down. I definitely don't try to shove a loop through a hook eye...so much easier to just feed the tag in and back out.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    I have tried a lot of things here where I drop shot a lot in the summer. I have finally settled on my equipment and I am experiencing a lot of success and not having a lot of issues with line twist and tangles.
    I now use Daiwa J-Braid in the yellow. Love it. I use a 9-10ft., 6# leader. My biggest switch has been the hook. I now use the Decoy hook. #1 or 1/0. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Decoy...ge-DCYMAS.html

With this hook, I have virtually eliminated line twist and snafus that occurred with each fish. When I used the palomar, after every fish, I was untangling a mess. Now I can unhook the fish and get right back in em. I can also use, if I want, an 8# leader going to my drop shot weight. I can change weights faster with pre-tied rigs.
    This set up works for me.
    Also, I have gone to the Z-Man Trick Shot and generally use 1-2 baits the entire day. Sometimes a bait lasts even longer than that.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Palomar knot for the Hook and Modified Albright knot to join braid to floro. Smallest, smoothest knot for joining two lines. Also, it can be tied quickly.

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12