Plumbing Tool Question

I need a tool like a water main turnoff / on tool with a 3=4 foot handle BUT I need the one that has the prongs that are pointed and will turn a round handle value . What do you call them and where to get one . I have a value in the yard for water main and its hard for me to get down and turn it plus its inside a pipe that I don't like putting my hand in . Have been just turning water off at the meter with a regular long key tool but I don't think I'm supposed to do it there .

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Are you talking about a street key?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I turn mine off at the meter sometimes. Never had anything said.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I turn mine off at the meter sometimes. Never had anything said.
    Thats what I will probably continue to do . I don't leave water on while I'm not at lake . But the tool I need is a 4pointed prong thing .

Water shut off curb key. Be advised, that refers to 3 or 4 styles.
    A sprinkler shutoff valve will work if you can find a long handles style. Try a plumbing supply house to determine which one works for your valve.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orbit-Silve...item1a4a56e327

Sorry, missed your last post while typing. Still, try a plumbing supply house, or cut it off at the meter. Shouldn’t be a problem with the city.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    If your wanting something for a round handle valve you can probably make something that would work.

7. Member
    I would think the water company would prefer meter shut off over street valve.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Water shut off curb key. Be advised, that refers to 3 or 4 styles.
    A sprinkler shutoff valve will work if you can find a long handles style. Try a plumbing supply house to determine which one works for your valve.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orbit-Silve...item1a4a56e327

Sorry, missed your last post while typing. Still, try a plumbing supply house, or cut it off at the meter. Shouldn’t be a problem with the city.
    That one it very close to what I was looking for , I've seen one with 4 pointed prongs but it could have been home made .

Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    I would think the water company would prefer meter shut off over street valve.
    Water people have not said anything and probably wouldn't but I hear they don't want you messing with anything on street side of meter .

i have a broke underground water line, and had the guys and back hoe dig 2 spots that where leaks should be. but nope, so $ paid and they didnt want to dig up any more to find. and neighbor concreted drive way right of way, that water lines run fw yrs ago. and was quoted $4 k to redo it all from road to house, and re route across his front yard to a ditch on opposite side of mine and his property, add to that cost of cutting out lot of big trees and digging into center of creek to run new water line to my house. that's if another neighbor allows digging thru her drive way some.. So I have to turn water off & on when needed at Meter at Road. PVC pipe was used for original water line back in 1991, and no issue till thanksgiving last year. and it sucks lolo. 10 MM combo wrench. and metal detector wont work since plastic pipe, and the out fits that can find with the high dollar machines want a fortune just to come and supposedly locate and mark where it at. and that's not including dig and repair or replace ..about 1200' length or more.

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Water people have not said anything and probably wouldn't but I hear they don't want you messing with anything on street side of meter .
    You break it you pay for it ..

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    No crap !!! The last thing I would want to see is them reading water meter and notice a shut off valve and a leak on street side . They would blame me for sure , I'm a long time ago plumber so I know what I'm doing I just can't find the tool I need for the round handle valve to keep my hand out of that hole .

Doesn’t the round shut off have a few holes in the top ??Buy any of the basic keys and weld 3-4 punches or nail sets to the end so it’s like a 4 prong fork

Doesn’t the round shut off have a few holes in the top ??Buy any of the basic keys and weld 3-4 punches or nail sets to the end so it’s like a 4 prong fork
    Yeah thats what I will do , but I might find one at a plumbing supply house .

15. Member
    Your curb box is usually the property of the city or water dept. They will break easily if you do not know how to turn them then it does get expensive fast. Wont the city or water service shut your service down for you as they have the proper curb box tool.

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Yeah thats what I will do , but I might find one at a plumbing supply house .
    I do not know of one that fits what your discibing ..the one like I described i have seen on the city water truck here and it had welds all over it like they made it

17. Banned
    Right here...

https://www.amazon.com/Bully-Tools-9...ords=water+key

48" one to your door in two days.

Im pretty sure you could use an angel grinder and make it work.