Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    bought brand new battery and installed it once I changed the regulartor.

2. Member
    Haven't been able to test under load as I was alone when I ran the boat. I will try and get some one to help me.
    thaks

3. Member
    My buddy keeps insisting it is the power pack. I am hoping its not. What y'all think? I am sure that is quite pricey if that is the case, huh?
    thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not since there's no power pack on this engine.

Depending on the Engine Serial Number, if may have a Switchbox, or it may be a CDM ignition model.

Follow the recommendation to check spark with a timing light under load. Clip to one plug wire at a time.... watch for a steady flashing pattern.

If you see something intermittent- report back.

If not (flash pattern is stable and consistent on all 3 cylinders), your problem is likely in the fuel system & carbs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    serial number is 0G142156

6. Member
    gota check spark under load [possible coil] spark good , go back to fuel system
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Just went outside to look at motor and noticed my fuel filter was empty. I just ran boat last weekend and fuel filter was full. Should the filter drain out like that will it sits up?
    Was wondering I possible leak of some sort and wondering if that could cause that cutting out?

Quote Originally Posted by robertsexpress View Post
    Just went outside to look at motor and noticed my fuel filter was empty. I just ran boat last weekend and fuel filter was full. Should the filter drain out like that will it sits up?
    Was wondering I possible leak of some sort and wondering if that could cause that cutting out?
    So are you saying that you have filter installed between the tank and the pulse pump on your rig? If so get rid of it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    No sir, filter is after pump, between pump and carbs.

Mount the filter so the the outlet is pointed up that will alow the vapor bubbles to purge out when running, It is common for this to ocur when they are mounted horozontal or downward. Since it is after the pump I doubt it is a problem though
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-20-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I had a problem with my 94 Merc 75hp, doing the same thing a few years ago. I have the shop manual for my motor and it suggested to check the fuel pump with the issues I was having. I checked the fuel pump and there is a diaphragm that had torn. Very easy fix and the kit was around $20. Did not take me more than 2hrs. total from time I took the hood off to time I locked it back down. I would check that after checking fuel lines and fuel filter for possible plugging.

12. Member
    Went thru the carbs again today. Pulled them off, soaked jets all day, blew everything out with air and ran small wire thru the jets to make sure no restrictions. I changed all hoses inside of motor to make sure all was good. Went to lake to run and its still doing the same thing no changes. Planes off good but just stays at low rpms and will not get above 28-30 mph.
    Guess I have to take it to mechanic as much as I hate to.
    Guess tomorrow i'll pull fuel pump and check diaphragm and see if that is issue.
    thanks,

13. Member
    Without doing a spark test under load I still suspicion you're peeing in the wind. It may not be the problem but it still should be verified.
    If you do have one cylinder misfiring then you could swap that cylinders coil with another one to see if the misfire follows the coil.

14. Member
    Low rider, how do I go about testing under load?
    use test light and have someone drive boat while I look for spark?
    im just trying to figure it out. Also, what am I looking for, no spark once under load or weak spark anything that changes?
    thanks

15. Member
    went thru the carbs again to make sure all jets were cleaned and blew everything out, changed all lines to carbs and from where fuel line comes into motor, did a compression check again (120 psi all 3), took each coil off and tested with multi meter and all tested good (off motor and not under a load) still having same issue. While I had it running on muffs I accidently touched the back of the boot on spark plug wire and It lit me up good. Should this be shocking thru back side of boot?
    Also, while I was checking for fire with tester, I pulled all 3 plugs out and hooked up light to one plug at a time to see spark, top and middle showed spark, when I went to check bottom plug (top and middle plugs out ) I had tester hooked to bottom plug and the engine fired up. Should this have happened and if so why didn't it start on middle or top ones. Could it be that only the bottom one is getting correct fire?
    just about to go crazy with this.
    Need some answers.

16. Member
    likely fuel was built up in that cyl, get some help to check for spark on all cyl while under load on lake
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Low rider, how do I go about testing under load?
    use test light and have someone drive boat while I look for spark?
    im just trying to figure it out. Also, what am I looking for, no spark once under load or weak spark anything that changes?
    thanks
    You will need an inductive timing light. Connect it to each cylinders spark plug wire and make a test run. Watch the flashing light and see if it becomes erratic when you're running under load. What you want to see is a steady flashing light at all times.
    Repeat this test on each cylinder.

18. Member
    I’m done! Anyone want to buy a boat?
    cant take it anymore. I haven’t had chance to check with inductive timing light, but I took it out today to see if what I did Sunday made a difference at all. It started up fine and idles ok, took off like usually does but still cutting out. I can run it about half to 3/4 throttle and it runs smooth, but once I give it any gas or it seems to hit around 30 mph it starts cutting out. Seeming like it’s cutting out at slower speed every now and again now as well.
    i think it has finally beat me, can’t keep wasting my time on it.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There were a few items I do not see you having done- or at least I don't see mentioned:

-REBUILT pulse fuel pump with kit?

-Float Level and Drop are set to: ????

-COMPLETE Sync-n-Link Procedure completed, per the "Synchronization and Adjustments" section of the Factory Service Manual?

It sounds like you would be best off to enlist the hands-on assistance of a qualified technician...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Ok guys. I ordered a new coil because one of the coils had magnets that seemed to be not connecting as they should.
    i put new coil on and went to lake. Boat ran fine, jumped out and ran great. I was happy and kept running to make sure it was gonna continue to run well, ran about 10 minutes getting happier each minute, then went to head back to launch and took off and it started acting exactly the same as before.
    could another coil have went out just like that?
    i read that mercs were bad about eating them up.
    what y’all think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12