Question 5th Wheel or Bumper pull?

Which one do you like better and why? Not trying to start a fuss, just like to hear others opinions on this.

2. Member
    5th wheel. Easier to hook, weight over the axle where it belongs, better turning radius, less bouncing around over bumps in road. However i pulled trailers for the last 25 years so I am partial. Final decision is what do you feel comfortable with and do you need the bed of the truck.

3. Member
    5th wheel. It’s a truck thing. Putting that in the bed of the truck never was practical for me... but they pull way better. Easier to back and maneuver. And you get way more camper for your $$.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

4. Member
    I am comfortable pulling either one, as I pull goosenecks and box trailers for work all the time. I just wanted some experienced user comments about them in a RV set up.

5. Banned
    I like 5th wheel better.Owned 2 bumper pulls,though they were nice,the 5th wheel has more storage inside and out.Does not sway as much on strong crosswinds and much easier for me to hitch up.
    The only thing I don't like is losing the bed on the truck.you have to decide that.

6. Member
    5th wheel by far. Easier on the truck. Backs easier. Better use of space over truck bed.

7. Member
    For me the biggest obstacle to buying a 5'er is I do not want a 3/4 ton truck. My two camping buddies (we camp March-April and October on the lake) both drive diesel 3/4 ton's and have Cougar 5ers and are all the time on me to get a diesel. Next thing I had against the 5er is the steps up to the bath/bedroom. Wife and I had rather have level floor plan. Now IMO the best thing about a 5er is the high ceiling over the living area. They bring their rods inside at night and I can not do this. The storage in a 5er is superior to a TT.

As far as hitching up, I can hitch my equalizer as fast or faster than they hook up to theirs. Although I can see the weight of the ball mount getting to heavy for me at some future point. 5er tows better, but my TT is pretty darn good towing.

I like having the use of my truck bed and have a hard cover over it.

All three trailers have same living comfort level and amenities.

They like their 5ers and 3/4 trucks. I like my TT and 1/2 ton. There really is no wrong answer. it's your money, buy what you want.

8. Member
    bumper pull for me , that way i can put 3 kayaks in bed of truck.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    5th wheel. Extra ceiling height makes the inside more open and gives you a large basement. Towing is much more stable.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Banned
    I have a mid size fifth wheel and a diesel 3/4 ton truck, and I am max'd out @ 12k/2k lbs. weights. I had no idea that 3/4 ton trucks were such bastard trucks with only 2500 lbs. max. bed weight.

The problem with 3/4 ton trucks with diesels now is the cost. Few people realistically can afford $60k for a diesel truck and another $50k -$60k for the RV.

There are a number of travel trailers on the market that are "half ton towable" , but the 1/2 truck needs the Max Tow package and RV Package not commonly found in new dealer lots. They also need a super premium hitch like a Blue Ox that is very expensive--if they're going to be towed much. The setup of a travel trailer is more difficult, but the floors are flat and they're easy to live in.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I have a mid size fifth wheel and a diesel 3/4 ton truck, and I am max'd out @ 12k/2k lbs. weights. I had no idea that 3/4 ton trucks were such bastard trucks with only 2500 lbs. max. bed weight.
    Mostly only on paper. An F250 could seriously be considered an F350 with a special sticker on the door pillar that keeps you from needing a CDL, following DOT rules, paying extra insurance or needing special plates. Virtually every weight carrying component is the same on a base 350 and a 250, and every component is the same on a 250 with the "Camper Special" package and a 350 SRW. A 350 can be optioned in ways the 250 can't though, like DRW. Since payload is GVWR minus curb weight, the artificially decreased GVWR produces an artificially reduced payload as well.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Banned
    A Max Tow 1/2 ton is getting pretty close.to a 3/4 ton in towability, but they are A little weak on kingpin weight. But not everyone (like myself) desires to drive a dually everyday.

I believe in buying a camper to fit the owner's truck and it's capabilities. Lightweight TT's and Fivers that are perfectly nice are on the retail market.

13. Banned
    I was looking at 5th wheels tonight and the salesman tells me that “my f350 can pull every trailer on the lot, except for 1”. Yeah right Little weasels...

14. Banned
    Depends on the truck. 1/2 ton? Bumper pull. Just not enough payload to handle the pin weight of a 5th wheel, or at least one you'd want to own. 3/4 ton can go either way. Bumper pull or a lighter 5th wheel. 1 ton trucks just take your pick.