3 or 4 batteries?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a ultrex and I'm wanting a 112 36v. I have a 80 24v now. I really don't want to add a 4th battery. The guys that are running a 3 battery set up like this tell me the cons please.
    thanks in advance
    2014 Bass Cat Cougar FTD/250 Pro XS

2. Member
    After second time needing to get jump started I went with the fourth battery.

It can be done if you get 31 Series AGM batteries. The heavier the better.

I've had two cougar FTD's and both came with 80lb minn Kota fortrex is there really a big difference in the 112?
    2014 Bass Cat Cougar FTD/250 Pro XS

4th Batter for house battery, 12v ciggy lighter socket, for 12v coffee maker & 12v hand held light and other uses. also since carry jumper cables in all vechicles owned & in Boat, if have a low start Battery, can just jump off the aux Battery your own or some ones else's Boat on water. had a 4 Bank Charger long before added the 4th. just had fuse pulled on 4th bank for awhile before finally got 4th battery

6. Banned
    First thing you need to ask, is why do you need a 36v 112 motor. I personally don't see much of a difference. I personally have a 82# 24v tm and can run it all day on lithium batteries. Look at keeping your motor and switching power sources. Best thing I ever did and will recommend this to anyone. You want to have an estimated 320lb of batteries in the back of your boat? Will kill the performance. Jump start question.... get a tournament pro saver.....no need for cables to be carried and more dependable than these micro jump box's, jump sticks, whatever you want to call them. My two cents worth.

7. Member
    I've been real happy with my 80# 24v Ultrex on my Cougar. If I went to a 36v, I would add a fourth battery to keep the graphs and trolling motor seperated.

8. Member
    Another vote for 4....with voltage requirements for all the "accessories" we use I had rather isolate it to a cranking battery and keep the TM independent.....plenty of space in the boat for 4. just my 1.5 cents.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

9. Member
    Upgraded mine to 4 batteries when I got my ultrex in January. Everything is fine. Thought I would loss some speed. I was wrong.. Everything is great!

4 or lithium
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Banned
    36v motor is always gonna pull better. guys that fish just lakes with little or no current can probably get by with a 24. try fishing a river circuit where sometimes 36 v still wont pull against it sometimes and you will be glad you have the extra power, and is the 1 mph lose vs the extra trolling motor power that big a deal, hell Imm a speed freak and I don't even think that

12. Member
    You dont need 4 batteries, get 3-31 deep cycles and hook your outboard and accesories to one of them. I have done this with a 24volt system since 1992!!! I run a 5&10 inch graph, only thing I dont have is power poles!

13. Member
    I have been fishing big river system for 35 years I have never wished I had a 36 volt troller . It's bull put your money in the best battery's money can buy . I fish 10 to 12 tournament s a year on big water and big rivers . I have never been stranded or jumped because of lack of power . I have been stranded from lower unit problems ,props and barge ropes . . Less weight in your boat the happier your outbroad will be , better fuel mileage , better hole shot and better top end . My next set of battery's will be lithiums .

14. Member
    I faced the same decision with my 2018 Caracal. I was set on four batteries, but after much consideration, I went with three batteries. All are 31 series AGM. I have fished multiple days without recharge and have not seen any performance problems and no cranking issues. Bottom line for me was why carry the extra weight if it wasn't necessary. I have heard of others running this setup successfully. Yes, if I was fishing FLW or the Elite series, I may change my mind, but at this time, I'm not. If you go four batteries you need a four bank charger as well. If you are worried about your engine not cranking, you can carry one of the small lightweight lithium jump starters for emergency use. That's my plan. So far so good.