Different weight carpet

Has anyone used 24oz carpet on the floor and front deck then used 16oz or 20oz on the back where most of the lids are located? Just curious if the colors match up? I very rarely have someone fishing from the back so I am not worried about it matting down.

Prolly not. Why not just stay with all 20 or all 24..?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    My boat came with 16 oz carpet, and I just replaced it with 24 oz Syntec. It is very dense and I had 3 lids that were very tight. I spent 10 minutes with hair clippers with a short comb attached and now they open and close great. You can't tell by looking at the carpet that they were shaved, but the pile is a little shorter. Different lots of the same weight carpet will vary somewhat in color, better off using the same carpet all over and trimming.

I agree ^^^
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Thanks for the input. I had an issue with lids and thicker carpet on a boat I did about 8 years ago, Didn't know about the trimmer trick then. Even Ranger suggested using the trimmers with 24oz carpet. I had a sore shoulder for 3 years trying to open those other lids !!

6. Member
    Get 20 oz and put padding under it, way better than going with 24 oz, and it will wrap around the lids a hell of a lot easier.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

only so much carpet footage can be dyed in either vats, dye becks,or kusters, that's why each batch is issued a dye lot number.

Kuster
    Dye Beck

Dye Vat

Did my entire boat in 24oz Syntec with padding. Lids were all tight. Left them closed for a couple days and opened like a dream- no need for clippers in my zx202..