Replacing the butt cap on a split grip rod

Here's a question for the rod builder out there - and don't nail me if this is a dumb question...

I got n email from MudHole about Winn grips - I saw the different butt caps and it got me thinking - dangerous...

I have a few split grip rods that have been great for a long time - actually Dobyns Savvy Series - they have held up to lots of wear and tear and fish - we the cork butt caps are looking a little worn and beat up and I was curious to see if it would be possible to replace the cork butt cap with a Winn grips cap?

What would this entail? Is it something a tackle tinkerer could tackle, or would I have to enlist the services of a rob builder? How would I remove the cork caps and prep for the install of the Winn cap?

Thanks for your help!

2. Member
    Its not rocket surgery. Use some pliers to pull off chunks of the cork and then get as much of the cork, residue and glue off as you can. If you really want to, you can take some sandpaper to it to get it smooth but you really don't need to.

Order a new Winn butt end. If it fits, just mix up some epoxy, you don't need much and spread it around on the inside of the butt end. Stick it on, let it dry and you're done. If you put it on the blank the glue will push out when you're putting on the end.

Odds are the ID will be too small to get on the blank easily. Couple of different things you can do here. Get it a little wet and work the end on the blank. Leave it there overnight and it will stretch a little making it easier to put on when you glue it. If it won't go on at all you'll have to ream it out a bit. You probably don't have reamers so I'd suggest a dremel tool with a sanding drum. Go slowly with a rough grit and you'll be fine. Then glue it on.

One thing you'll want to check though is that the Winn butt end will go up the blank as far or farther as the current one, otherwise you'll have some rough looking blank showing.

3. Member
    thanks for the help!

Tad long but saved me some time with the main cork.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?