2000 Model X-19 Prop & Setup VMAX OX66 200HP

Hello forum members. I have a 2000 X-19 with 2001 Yamaha Vmax OX66 200HP motor. I have a yamaha 25 m prop that has been repaired from damage before according to the previous owner. I have a 6 in manual jackplate. I am only able to get 5000-5100 rpm and about 50 mph out of this setup. I know from reading on here, this is a 70 + mph rig. The current prop has some damage and I would like to buy a new prop that gives me the best performance I can get with my setup. I currently don't get enough bow lift at speeds over 30mph or so to ride up on the pad.

I have tried various heights from the bottom of my jack plate, all the way to the top and bow lift issues are the same at each location, so all I can figure is I need a new prop.
    What would the experts here recommend I try prop wise, as I would like to buy a new prop and convert mine to an extra spare. Also, does anyone know what the maximum recommended RPM range is for my motor? Do I need to step down to a 23 pitch prop to get my rpm up. I have cleaned/replaced all filters, low pressure pumps, VST , and replaced 02 sensor in the last year but still can only get 5000-5100 rpm.

Thanks guys

2. Member
    When I had the stock lower on mine I was running a 27 trophy with a few more hp than a 200 set up. As far as 70 well ya with everything perfect. BUT you should be in the 60+ range with no problem, not 50. Mine was running 54-55 with a 150 on the back. You need to check throttle to be sure it is fully opening and the bottom of the pad on the boat for hooks, dents ect. You should be able to pull a 25 trophy with no issues if you have the OX lower at a 1:81 ratio. Bow lift is very important on these boats so if you are heavy up front get it to the back. Rpm limiter is 6250 or so, and remember your tach may be off. Run it in the upper rpm range above 5500. With the stock lower you will run out of water pressure before going too high for lift. You do have a working water pressure gauge, right? Find a used Trophy or TXP ot4 to start. You could pm t-bob for advise also, very good on these rigs. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Sounds real familiar, only I have a 200 Mercury. Right now running 26 Trophy+ and getting 55 @ 5500. I have purchased a 10" jackplate and will install soon, biggest thing I noticed is on the pad 2 places pushed up just before the back that is normal(making a cup) so bow is forced down when running. Looks like I'm going to do some upside down body work. Will try to do that and jackplate then I'm just going to fish out of it no matter if it's better or not.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

4. Member
    Is your 2000 rated for a 200? My 2000 x19 coast guard plate says it is only rated for a 175?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    Sounds real familiar, only I have a 200 Mercury. Right now running 26 Trophy+ and getting 55 @ 5500. I have purchased a 10" jackplate and will install soon, biggest thing I noticed is on the pad 2 places pushed up just before the back that is normal(making a cup) so bow is forced down when running. Looks like I'm going to do some upside down body work. Will try to do that and jackplate then I'm just going to fish out of it no matter if it's better or not.
    When I added braces to mine for the bigger engine I straightened a lot of hooks out of the pad and back of the hull. A lot of light taps with a small hammer from the topside will move the aluminum better that a few heavy ones will. Way better than trying to do this with filler from the underside. I would like to see a X19 with a normal fishing load and 2 guys full of fuel run 70mph with 200hp. My guess the pad would have to have a bunch of work to do this. I have smoothed mine, cleaned off the welds and straightened it the best that I could without using filler and 70 is a good number for me with a 4 blade prop. I can do better with a light boat and a 27 t-1 that I have but don't like the way it drives. Found 3 bad plug boots, maybe that will get a mph or 2! CJ

6. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsneed View Post
    Is your 2000 rated for a 200? My 2000 x19 coast guard plate says it is only rated for a 175?
    Yes it is, weird that yours isn't.
    Last edited by Arkyarcher; 06-01-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

7. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Hey Cj1, how did you see the bottom back ? Did you remove the sub floor ? I don't weld so I was going to go with the body filler because I can do that.(I know not as permanent)
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

8. Member
    My issues were in that last foot or so. I did have to cut some of the subfloor to add the 2 extra braces so I did get a little better access. Cj

9. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    OK thanks, I will have to check with a buddy I think he can weld so I might go that route.
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

10. Member
    I agree very weird.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    OK thanks, I will have to check with a buddy I think he can weld so I might go that route.
    If he has a tig, get a thick piece of filler rod bend it in a u and tack weld both ends to the dent. Then you have roughly 1.5 feet to hit to pull out the dent. Poor mans uni spotter! CJ

12. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Hey CJ1 , thanks . Hey , Dtechman1981, I have a 24 pitch Trophy and a 25 Tempest you are welcome to try if you are close to Hot Springs.
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures

13. Member
    Arkycatcher, I am located in texarkana but I would not mind coming to lake hamilton to try them out. That is a generous offer. What year is your x 19? Have you tried both of those props to see what differences it made for your rig. I can only get 5100rpm max with the prop I have now. I am not sure if that prop is not a 25pitch after the work was done to it or what, but I should get more rpm's than i do. I am only half way down on my hot foot with plenty of room to go but it does not rev any higher, just seems to dump fuel and waste it.

14. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    PM you my number cause I am not a typist.
    Gene Wilson

Team PoorMansCustomLures