St. Lawrence Trip

I am heading out to fish the St. Lawrence for the first time in the middle of June, staying at Schermerhorn Landing between Goose Bay and Chippewa Bay. I'm assuming that I will be able to pretty much drop my trolling motor and start fishing with some success, but I was wondering if there are some areas to fish that folks would recommend that are fairly close to where I am staying. Additionally, are there specific baits/colors that I should have tied on for this time of year? Any information would be much appreciated.

2. Member
    What dates are you planning on fishing exactly? Bass season doesn’t open on the river until Father’s Day weekend. If you go before that if you catch a bass have to use the big motor and move away from the spot. That’s a direct quote from a state dec officer patrolling the river.. it doesn’t matter if you say you’re pike fishing they will watch to see if you actually make an attempt to move and if not it’s a fun ticket to pay. On that river you can literally pull up to any Shoal or island and get into them. It’s just normal river fishing for smallies just bigger area and more grass.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    We will be arriving on Saturday 16th, which I believe is opening day for the season (3rd Saturday in June) and staying until the 23rd. I assumed that the fishing at that time of year would be relatively shallow, with many fish still on beds.

4. Member
    Ya you should be all good for bass then. A lot of fish will be on beds but should be pretty easy picking. Buddy has been doing great on jerkbaits
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Both those bays are good too.. the water up there is only low to mid 50s .. any island with some grass or deep shore will do well too

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

6. Member
    I'll be at Schermerhorn at the same time 20 yrs I have taken this trip.Look for the maroon TZX 190 Skeeter

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniver View Post
    I'll be at Schermerhorn at the same time 20 yrs I have taken this trip.Look for the maroon TZX 190 Skeeter
    Will do, Juniver. This is our first trip, as we are usually fishing Black Lake, Oneida, or Cayuga this time of year. I would be more than happy to share a cold beverage in exchange for some fishing and navigational tips. I’ll be the guy running a red and black Skeeter 225 ZX with dual Talons. Safe travels, I’ll see you there.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woo602 View Post
    Will do, Juniver. This is our first trip, as we are usually fishing Black Lake, Oneida, or Cayuga this time of year. I would be more than happy to share a cold beverage in exchange for some fishing and navigational tips. I’ll be the guy running a red and black Skeeter 225 ZX with dual Talons. Safe travels, I’ll see you there.
    navigational tips will help you more up there be careful shoal city and they are unforgiving granite..

9. Member
    I have a new, updated Navionics chip which I am hoping is accurate. Thanks for the warning, I plan to be very careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniver View Post
    Where do you park at Schermerhorn if you aren't staying there - map says it is on street parking

11. Member
    Your best bet would be to put in at the lower end of Chipewa Bay its a public launch and has plenty of parking. Schemerhorn is a public launch but doesn't have public parking.Hope that helps. Jun