Thread: Lanier Update

Lanier Update

Not much action going on in here lately. Spending a week on Lanier June 9-16 with the kids. Bass fishing most of the time. Staying just above Browns bridge. Coming from NC , first trip down this year. Anyone care to give me an update on the bass? Plan to look for topwater/fluke most all day. I will have a DS and spybait on the deck tho. Anyone been out lately that could point me in a general area to start? Would love not to have to hunt 2-3 days to get on fish. Thanks
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

I haven’t been out on it lately but Jimbo is pretty reliable. Bring a dropshot, shakey head and whopper plopper.

https://jimboonlanier.com/fishing-report/

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Thanks! Yeah i like to follow him and LJ on facebook. They always get on some nice fish! Ill be sure and post a detailed report after we get back. Im sure i will have to stay below browns bridge all week to stay on fish.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

Fished all last week at Lanier. Fishing was borderline terrible. Caught 5-6 fish per day with 14 one day. (wednesday) Quality was very good with spots up to 4lbs. VERY little topwater action, despite all the guide reports to the contrary. I fished Big Creek, Young Deer, 2, 4 & 6 mile areas. Hitting humps, points with topwater followed up by jig and dropshots. Place seemed pretty dead. I assume the high water mustve had something to do with it, although i dont know how so. Even the guide reports slacked off toward the end of the week. Maybe it will get better this week since i am back at work. LOL
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

5. Member
    How deep were you fishing. If it topped out shallower than 15' you were fishing too shallow. 15' to 30' is best for the topwater bite. And it's best in the middle of a sunny day.

6. Banned
    you need to be out deep. humps and points with brush in the 25-35 foot zone. if you don't have good electronics or know where the brush is, it's going to be tough

7. Member
    I caught spots on flukes yesterday on humps in the 15' to 25' range. Several were 3+ lbs from a single school.
    I also caught some bream eating largemouths in the backs of creeks mid day, on frogs and prop baits. Largest about 4 lbs on the frog. (Shade edges)
    Spots are more reliable June through September. Just keep moving until you find them. Spend no more than 5 minutes at each stop unless you start catching them.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    WOW Lanier is going to be tough for me for a while :( Guess ill start hitting Clark Hill.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

9. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    WOW Lanier is going to be tough for me for a while :( Guess ill start hitting Clark Hill.
    Lanier does have a learning curve but once you figure it out it is pretty consistent. The topwater bite is not as simple as some think, they are some tricks of the trade. They dont always crush a bait and they get pulled off the brush following you. Stay focused, alert, one eye on the electronics you will figure out what they are doing.

Those same fish take a pounding from bass and striper guides daily, now you can throw the live bait fishing in the mix cause if the guides cant put them on fish spottails or herring dropped in brush is a fail safe. This does hurt those spots

An easy way to find brush is drive around a hump or point with big motor set down and watch your wake This stirs the herring up then usually you will see a brief blowup. That blow up is close by or directly over brush. Also while your going from spot to spot scan the water if you see a boil or blow up it's worth checking out. This will apply to any herring lake.
    Once you get enough brush you can set up a milkrun. This is what John means by no more than 5 minutes per hole if they are setup right they will come up quickly.. Hit em and go we even rotate the better holes multiple times a day.

Also not everday your going to wear them out. I've seen days I was lucky to get 5 bites but those bites on them days will put you in the money. Then you have have the days you catch two at a time. Those days when its tough watch your electronics close you can catch those fish with a drop shot, worm etc... if you get over the school.

There is more but for now this should help.
    Good luck to all!
    Last edited by fishnfool38; 06-22-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    fishnfool38 -Excellent! Ill put in the time as I want to learn this lake now I live on it (Nix Bridge). I just got new HDS's... so learning that now as well. Thanks for that write-up very cool of you to do. BTW Hoyt :( lol
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri