Rainy Lake in Late July?

Thinking of making the Trek to rainy lake as I have a week off in the 3rd week of July. From what I have read it will be post-spawn and sometimes that is tough.

If anyone has any general info on the lake, I would greatly appreciate it. Not looking for GPS or anything like that. Just making sure I am prepared since it is such a long haul!

Best place to launch? Does the lake get really rough in the wind etc...

Thanks for any help!

2. Member
    Late July will be great; especially with the warm weather we've been having. Mother nature is making up for the late spring, or lack thereof.

As far as launching... that depends if you're staying on the American or Canadian side. The lake can get rough but there are plenty of bays, back channels, etc to get out of the wind. While you're up near I Falls, spend a few hours on the Rainy River.

Your week will fly by. The scenery is unreal and is truly God's country.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Where are you wanting to stay (US or Canadian side). 3rd week will of July should be good this year with the late ice out. July is my favorite month to catch walleye too.

US Side. The wife and kids are flying to Washington state to see a friend so I ended up with that week free since I am a teacher and we are out of school. Caught Walleye once on the Wisconsin River but no keepers.

Where are you wanting to stay (US or Canadian side). 3rd week will of July should be good this year with the late ice out. July is my favorite month to catch walleye too.[/QUOTE]

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Several choices for the US side, and you can easily get to and fish the Canadian side too. You will catch keeper walleye and topwater bass should be good too. You will catch Pike, even if you don't want to. If I can help in any way, let me know. Will gladly mark a map with places to fish. You will enjoy your trip to Rainy