Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikesxpress

2018 repower 250 Pro XS Q&A

Should have mine clipped on next week. As we currently have stuff for this new 4 stroke scattered all over, this may be a good one stop thread for those doing a 250 Pro XS repower.

Unanswered question for me is the ability of the existing 14 pin harness/plug that currently attaches at the front of the 2 stroke will now need to attach to the rear of the power head. Hoping there is enough slack for it to reach back there?? We shall see. Option for a 6' long extension cable for $170.00 exists but that is a last resort.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 06-01-2018 at 04:44 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Battery Cables and Clean Power: 20" (L) model ProXS Mechanical Engines ship WITH 12' battery cables AND a 14' Clean Power Harness (Provided in the box with the engine). No need to order those separately for these models.

Rigging Tube: Recommend Part# 8M0146953 Open Grommet + 825191A03 Rigging Tube Kit

Water Separator Kit: 8M0135386

Keyswitch Harness Extension (14 Pin ONLY- 6' Length): 892451T06 (Other lengths or types also available)

Throttle/Shift Cables: 1' SHORTER length than used with previous model (normally).

MUCH more info available, it varies enough that it should be spec'd out by the Rigging Dealer, OR on Mercury's Rigging Configuration Tool.

And new 3/8" fuel line all the way from the tank to the external filter- 3/8" on to the engine, no primer bulb.

I would strongly caution folks regarding specs for rigging these engines- there are hundreds of potential variables to consider. It is NOT quite as simple as "just plug in everything that was on your old engine and go".
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-01-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Additional Info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I rigged a pair of 200's and the shift cables didn't have to be changed. They just move to the stbd side of the engine. The harness plugs in on the back and needed an extension. You also need a DTS clean power harness or else the engine won't do anything(trim, crank, or run). Even the mechanical models

Posting for future reference :)
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    I rigged a pair of 200's and the shift cables didn't have to be changed. They just move to the stbd side of the engine. The harness plugs in on the back and needed an extension. You also need a DTS clean power harness or else the engine won't do anything(trim, crank, or run). Even the mechanical models
    Were those ProXS models (very important question)?

Different engine versions have slightly varying rigging material requirements (I’ll check my documentation at the office tomorrow for harness info).

Rigging Dealer should have already planned all of this out, though...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Were those ProXS models (very important question)?

Different engine versions have slightly varying rigging material requirements (I’ll check my documentation at the office tomorrow for harness info).

Rigging Dealer should have already planned all of this out, though...
    I rigged a 300 V8 & a pair of 200 V6's & all 3 required the DTS clean power harness to even crank, trim, run. All 3 engines were mechanical. The owners manuals for all of these new engines is the same & reference the DTS Clean power harness. The manual is for all the 3.4's & 4.6 enines. Not 100% but I'm sure the Pro XS needs it too. I'll check the shop manual tomorrow. I'll also provide the part number of the harnesses we used.

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    I rigged a 300 V8 & a pair of 200 V6's & all 3 required the DTS clean power harness to even crank, trim, run. All 3 engines were mechanical. The owners manuals for all of these new engines is the same & reference the DTS Clean power harness. The manual is for all the 3.4's & 4.6 enines. Not 100% but I'm sure the Pro XS needs it too. I'll check the shop manual tomorrow. I'll also provide the part number of the harnesses we used.
    Rob your doing the rigging of these engines at a Mercury marine dealership?
    These are not 250 Pro XS 4.6 V8 engines. I don't believe the manuals are out for these yet?

8. mikesxpress
    This is why I started a repower thread. So far no one has actually installed one yet. Mercury technicians (or regional Mercury Reps) have not been to class for these engines yet. While I'm comfortable that my 35 year local Mercury tech can do a quality install of my new 4 stoke it would be allot more reassuring if all parties knew exactly what needs to be on hand to conduct the repower as allot of folks are going to do this. As a consumer calling in to Mercury outboard customer service asking the "mechanical repower" non-DTS question, the response I get is:
    You need the six foot 14 pin extension cable #892451T06 ($117.72) as the new plug location is at the rear of the engine. Everything else will bolt right up. I also know these are Mercury staff that are in place to address end users questions not actual Mercury technicians questions so I don't place allot of faith in the response. Primary reason I started the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Rob your doing the rigging of these engines at a Mercury marine dealership?
    These are not 250 Pro XS 4.6 V8 engines. I don't believe the manuals are out for these yet?
    Manuals are on Mecs CDS system. Yes, I work for a big dealer & we're learning on the fly like everyone else is. I rigged a 4.6 & I doubt it's any different than a pro. Both 4.6. You can Download the rigging PDF as well

90-8M0140586

Page 66 in the owners manual also references the harness
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 06-01-2018 at 10:10 AM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Checked documentation. DON'T attempt to apply what you've done on 25" model engines to a 20" model.

Battery Cables and Clean Power: 20" (L) model ProXS Mechanical Engines ship WITH 12' battery cables AND a 14' Clean Power Harness (Provided in the box with the engine). No need to order those separately for these models.

Rigging Tube: Recommend Part# 8M0146953 Open Grommet + 825191A03 Rigging Tube Kit

Water Separator Kit: 8M0135386

Keyswitch Harness Extension (14 Pin ONLY- 6' Length): 892451T06 (Other lengths or types also available)

Throttle/Shift Cables: 1' SHORTER length than used with previous model (normally).

MUCH more info available, it varies enough that it should be spec'd out by the Rigging Dealer, OR on Mercury's Rigging Configuration Tool.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury technicians (or regional Mercury Reps) have not been to class for these engines yet.
    Actually, numerous techs have taken advantage of Flash Training, E-Skills, and some rather extensive documentation materials available to dealers/technicians.

I would strongly caution folks regarding specs for rigging these engines- there are hundreds of potential variables to consider.

Mercury has a very nice tool available to Dealers to assist in the proper rigging materials (Vessel Config).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-01-2018 at 01:08 PM.

12. Banned
    I do not like reading all of this technical info regarding re-powering with these
    motors, makes me very leery of hoping the shop doing the install really knows what they are doing. Longer this and shorter that, sounds like the labor and extra parts might put a little extra hurt to the cost of an install.

Do the steering cables have to be extended too?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No... though very few of these will be using steering cables (usually Hydraulic or Power Steering).

Should have mine clipped on next week. As we currently have stuff for this new 4 stroke scattered all over, this may be a good one stop thread for those doing a 250 Pro XS repower.

Unanswered question for me is the ability of the existing 14 pin harness/plug that currently attaches at the front of the 2 stroke will now need to attach to the rear of the power head. Hoping there is enough slack for it to reach back there?? We shall see. Option for a 6' long extension cable for $170.00 exists but that is a last resort.
    If your ship date is next week you may have a delay. My ship date was supposedly the 14th and it's now the 2nd and waiting. Mercury has literally 100 different variations of these engines and with demand so high, they can only produce so many at a time. I put a deposit down on it months ago when I heard of it & we ordered them the first day they became available to order

15. mikesxpress
    Mine is a 20". What I would consider a standard length for the bass boat market. I will get it whenever they ship it.
    My objective is to have everything I can installed for the new four stroke before it goes to get the engine hung. The oil tank/feed hose/remote oil fill removed and hole has been plugged and glassed in. (Like it never happened)
    New fuel line installed and searching for the water separator kit. I want just the hose end laying there for rigging process as I know where I want add-ons mounted.

We went from 5' longer to 1' shorter on the cables. I am hoping no change out in shift/throttle cables and SeaStar hose is required and this excess can be tucked into the boat.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 06-02-2018 at 05:28 AM.

16. mikesxpress
    Does this 4 stroke use an engine mounted fuel filter?
    Or is the addition of the separator now the filter?

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Thanks Don.

Note part# for 6 foot is:
    84892451T06 14 Pin 6 Feet

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator Edit
    Sorry Mike- the ACTUAL Part Number is 892451T06 (the "84" is a class-code and is not really part of the Part Number).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-04-2018 at 07:02 AM.

18. mikesxpress
    Can not locate Mercury Marine Water Separator Kit 8M0135386? Is that a good #?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can not locate Mercury Marine Water Separator Kit 8M0135386? Is that a good #?
    Correction: No Mike- External filter is NOT "required". If the boat installation warrants a boat-mounted filter, the above number is the correct number. WIF (Water In Fuel) warning must be on the filter CLOSEST to the fuel tank. Must be ordered from a Mercury Dealer... and you're probably not going to find it on the various clearing-house parts channels that we don't support here.

Preferable to retain only ONE filter (though there are some provisions made to optionally retain the engine-mounted filter as well if it does NOT create a fuel supply restriction).

Please note that I added an edit to your Post# 20. The "84" you tried to add to a part number is a CLASS CODE (it is not actually part of the Part Number, and is not used in the ordering process).

Given the number of people reading this thread, it will be imperative that information provided be correct.

BTW... should not need to change steering hoses unless you're changing setback or other setup features. Cylinder will be in almost precisely the same position it was previously (in your case).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-08-2018 at 09:15 AM.

20. Member
    Don
    Ranger is pre-rigging my boat for a Pro XS 250 V8 20" lu. Are part numbers available for the battery cables and harness that ship with the engine?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast