Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdude View Post
    This money could be used to increase the price/lb to incentivize commercial fisherman.
    Supposedly they already are paying a subsidy and have been for a while, not sure where I read that.

I'm guessing the meeting you went to only had the fisheries biologist people there, who may not pay much attention to the financial side of things.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdude View Post
    Does anyone know what percentage of the KDFWR budget is going towards the carp issue? I asked this question at the public meeting at KY Dam Village, got no answer just avoidance. Not sure if they didn't know the answer, or didn't want to say. The reason I would like to know this, is it would tell us how important this issue is to KDFWR. I don't understand why other projects can't take a back seat for a few years why they focus more on the eradication of Asian carp. This money could be used to increase the price/lb to incentivize commercial fisherman. I also think there needs to be more investigation into other uses. Not sure there is enough demand in the food industry to get rid of the carp.
    That is a great question. It's obviously very important to fishermen. It seems like KDFWR is about 5 years too late to the party.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    It seems like KDFWR is about 5 years too late to the party.
    I see a lot of people with this line of thought, but it simply isn't true...you just haven't been paying attention to the issue until now.

The commercial tournament they hosted in 2013 was one of the biggest events up until the recent Elite event that opened people's eyes to the problem. Give the video below a good look, LOTS of information in it. Keep in mind what you're seeing is from 2013, things were really bad back then (and it's gotten worse) but people just weren't paying attention back then like they are now:

KY has actually been one of the leading states on the issue. They are always trying new things, trying to find new methods, but there just hasn't been a solution found yet.

I read last night there was some contract KDFWR was looking to award early this year that involved increased commercial fishing efforts on the lakes, but I never did hear if that was awarded or not: http://kentuckytoday.com/stories/asi...y-waters,10365

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Supposedly they already are paying a subsidy and have been for a while, not sure where I read that.
    I was told last night by the KDFWR Facebook page that KDFWR already pays a $0.05 per pound subsidy on commercial sales of Asian Carp.

I mentioned the idea about letting bowfishermen be exempt from the commercial fishing license and be able to sell their catch, KDFWR said that by sticking an arrow into the meat it introduces bacteria and such into the fish making it inedible and would only be good for byproduct uses like fertilizer.

The Carp Madness event removed about 8,400 lbs from the lakes and about 8,500 pounds from the river.

Carp Madness II “Bowfishing Edition” FINAL RESULTS!!!!

LAKES DIVISION- 33 participants
    1st- Making Moves (1,104lbs)
    2nd-PMA (1,093lbs)
    3rd- Spinal Tap (689lbs)
    Big Fish- AMS (34lbs)
    Total Weight: 8369.2

RIVERS DIVISION- 48 participants
    1st- Descalin’ (1,007lbs)
    2nd- Hydrophilic Bowfishing (585lbs)
    3rd- All-Around Outdoors (546lbs)
    Big Fish- Grizz Fish (48lbs)
    Total Weight: 8,453lbs

Asian carp that JUMPED in the boats: 3,000-5,000lbs

• 81 boats from 11 States: AR, GA, IL, IN, KY, MO, MS, OH, SC, TN, MI

Thanks to our bowfishermen, this tournament resulted in over 20,000 pounds of Asian carp removed from our waters. More importantly this tournament helps bring more attention to this extremely important issue.
    CONGRATULATIONS to our winners and a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who participated and to those who attended!!

5. Member

I mentioned the idea about letting bowfishermen be exempt from the commercial fishing license and be able to sell their catch, KDFWR said that by sticking an arrow into the meat it introduces bacteria and such into the fish making it inedible and would only be good for byproduct uses like fertilizer.

[/I][/B]
    Not saying they didn't tell you that but it doesn't make sense to me. There is bacteria all over everything. The fish unless sold as fresh would be frozen and any bacteria would be killed at that time. The processor might need to be a little creative when filleting but I cant see there being a danger. Heck the cooking process should kill whatever bacteria was present provided you cook to temp.

I'm kinda calling BS on that reasoning. But hey I definitely don't have a degree in biology.

6. Member
    Freezing does not kill bacteria or viruses. We freeze material for biological feed back to autogenously inoculate swine for natural disease prevention. We reactive by providing a growth median proliferating the growth. Any trauma such as arrow penetration to the protective layer of the fish would promote bacterial growth thus being a higher risk to the consumer even after cooking ... So no BS.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    Freezing does not kill bacteria or viruses. We freeze material for biological feed back to autogenously inoculate swine for natural disease prevention. We reactive by providing a growth median proliferating the growth. Any trauma such as arrow penetration to the protective layer of the fish would promote bacterial growth thus being a higher risk to the consumer even after cooking ... So no BS.
    okay fair enough on the bacteria being killed... But whats the difference between an arrow and it being processed ??? Still bacteria everywhere. could they not just cut around the arrow wound and retain the reset ??

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    okay fair enough on the bacteria being killed... But whats the difference between an arrow and it being processed ??? Still bacteria everywhere. could they not just cut around the arrow wound and retain the reset ??
    Thes hole may be more of a problem during the time in between being shot and when it arrives at the processor. Think of a fish with a big flesh wound/hole riding around in a tub with a bunch of other fish with the same wound/hole...that hole could be in the guts, so guts leaking out all over the other fish and into other fish.

They don't put those fish on ice as soon as they are shot....that's the hurdle KDFWR is trying to overcome right now. The fish aren't iced, it's a long ride to the processors from KY and Barkley Lakes, so a lot of the commercial fishermen are targeting areas on the rivers that are closer to the processor than the lakes. When it gets hot like it is now, the fish would spoil trying to make the trip from KY/Barkley Lakes to the processors. KDFWR is trying to secure funding and setup a "fish valet" service, where KDFWR sets up a location near the lakes to receive the fish, ice them down, and then haul them to the processors.

I really wish Wade White (Lyon Co Judge Executive) could be successful in getting the asian carp processing ship in Hickman to drop anchor on KY Lake. That would be really neat to see! I asked KDFWR if they had been having any conversations with Riverine Fisheries in trying to get the processing ship to drop anchor on KY Lake - they said that was not something they were pursuing.

The M/V Riverine Enterprise is a 350′ long factory vessel which has a long history of working as a “mother” ship in various Bering Sea fisheries and East Coast fisheries. She has been converted to handle Asian Carp specifically.

9. Member
    Thes hole may be more of a problem during the time in between being shot and when it arrives at the processor. Think of a fish with a big flesh wound/hole riding around in a tub with a bunch of other fish with the same wound/hole...that hole could be in the guts, so guts leaking out all over the other fish and into other fish.

I really wish Wade White (Lyon Co Judge Executive) could be successful in getting the asian carp processing ship in Hickman to drop anchor on KY Lake. That would be really neat to see! I asked KDFWR if they had been having any conversations with Riverine Fisheries in trying to get the processing ship to drop anchor on KY Lake - they said that was not something they were pursuing.

[/I][/B]

Yeah the ice issue is probably the big factor. I was just thinking about saltwater fishermen who use a gaff to haul fish into the boat. But those fish also immediately go into Ice.

Still though the vids ive watched of commercial AC fishermen the fish aren't exactly treated with loving care. They get tossed into the boat, bashed around, stepped on etc. Cant imagine many if any don't have wounds prior to entering the processing plant.

I agree it would be cool to see that ship out on KY lake.. Almost battleship looking. You know that sucker is tough if it survived the bearing sea.

Maybe we get a reality Asian Carp TV show going HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Maybe we get a reality Asian Carp TV show going HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH
    Maybe instead of "Deadliest Catch" it can be called "Stinkiest Catch"

11. Member
    “This”....

They don't put those fish on ice as soon as they are shot....that's the hurdle KDFWR is trying to overcome right now. The fish aren't iced, it's a long ride to the processors from KY and Barkley Lakes, so a lot of the commercial fishermen are targeting areas on the rivers that are closer to the processor than the lakes. When it gets hot like it is now, the fish would spoil trying to make the trip from KY/Barkley Lakes to the processors. KDFWR is trying to secure funding and setup a "fish valet" service, where KDFWR sets up a location near the lakes to receive the fish, ice them down, and then haul them to the processors.

The M/V Riverine Enterprise is a 350′ long factory vessel which has a long history of working as a “mother” ship in various Bering Sea fisheries and East Coast fisheries. She has been converted to handle Asian Carp specifically.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12