Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb ** Kentucky Lake Carp Problem **

BASS Elite Series Pro Mark Menendez is asking for your help with the ongoing Carp issue.

Debra

https://www.facebook.com/20338323068...7882856768543/

2. Member
    I thought we HAD been trying to do something the last several years. We were viewed as brainless, alarmist sheep. Remember "they" are the biologists!

3. Banned
    I appreciate his effort, but what is the solution?

Multiple states have been looking for a solution for years with little to no results. Millions of dollars in research have been spent and are continuing to be spent.

If people are reaching out to politicians to raise awareness about it, then I think they should be asking for something too, like maybe asking for funding for a subsidy to encourage growth of the commercial fishing industry for the Asian Carp. We have 3 processors in the area that can handle a combined capacity of 18 million pounds per year and a couple more waiting for the market to grow more before starting up their operation...right now they are only processing about 2 million pounds a year due to low interest by the commercial fishermen who need a higher price per pound to be profitable.

KDFWR has said that KY/Barkley Lakes need to have about 8 million pounds of Asian Carp removed annually to be kept at sustainable levels, right now they are no where near that. Commercial fishermen have said they need the price per pound to be up around $0.12 to $0.15 per pound for it to be worth their while, right now the current price is about $0.07 per pound. By my math, an extra $0.08 per pound subsidy times 8,000,000 pounds equates to $640,000. Surely to goodness we could get $640,000 a year from the government to fund this subsidy to get the price up to $0.15 per pound.

The bad thing is the timing of this. Right now politicians are more concerned with getting elected or re-elected. So far this year, I've only heard one candidate speak of addressing the Asian Carp problem in a campaign speech, and he got beat in the primary pretty bad.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I appreciate his effort, but what is the solution?

Multiple states have been looking for a solution for years with little to no results. Millions of dollars in research have been spent and are continuing to be spent.

If people are reaching out to politicians to raise awareness about it, then I think they should be asking for something too, like maybe asking for funding for a subsidy to encourage growth of the commercial fishing industry for the Asian Carp. We have 3 processors in the area that can handle a combined capacity of 18 million pounds per year and a couple more waiting for the market to grow more before starting up their operation...right now they are only processing about 2 million pounds a year due to low interest by the commercial fishermen who need a higher price per pound to be profitable.

KDFWR has said that KY/Barkley Lakes need to have about 8 million pounds of Asian Carp removed annually to be kept at sustainable levels, right now they are no where near that. Commercial fishermen have said they need the price per pound to be up around $0.12 to $0.15 per pound for it to be worth their while, right now the current price is about $0.07 per pound. By my math, an extra $0.08 per pound subsidy times 8,000,000 pounds equates to $640,000. Surely to goodness we could get $640,000 a year from the government to fund this subsidy to get the price up to $0.15 per pound.

The bad thing is the timing of this. Right now politicians are more concerned with getting elected or re-elected. So far this year, I've only heard one candidate speak of addressing the Asian Carp problem in a campaign speech, and he got beat in the primary pretty bad.
    Put a $5 "contribution" per day per boat on every bass fishing tournament at KY Lake. Open a contributory non-profit to split between the processors and pay out a monthly reserve to registered commercial fishermen that report their hauls. I'm with you, seems simple. I would donate to save the TN River system, no doubt. This is our "Ducks Unlimited" opportunity to save our fisheries.

5. Member
    They will prolly add ramp fees. The working man will end up paying for it.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Svan270 View Post
    The working man will end up paying for it.
    Always does.

I would say let's let those who are hurt the most by Asian Carp pay for it. Let's start requiring that all fishing tournaments of 50 boats or more to register with the state, and pay a $250 fee as part of that registration to go toward an Asian Carp commercial fishing subsidy...at most that's $5 per boat per tournament. Take it a step further such that a 100 boat tournament requires a registration fee of $500, again no more than $5 per boat which can easily be collected by increasing the entry fee by $5. Think of the number of tournaments across the state each year and how those fees could easily add up to enough for a sizable subsidy to be funded. Tournament fishermen care the most about the Asian Carp problem, so let them jump in and be the heroes by heavily funding the subsidy.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    This is our "Ducks Unlimited" opportunity to save our fisheries.
    I like the sound of that.

Maybe we start a "Bass Unlimited" organization with an annual $25 membership. You have state and local chapters what work with local bass clubs to generate funds to fight the Asian Carp. You could even take it a step further and work with local Chambers of Commerce and local Tourism Offices to promote the organization and increase membership by encouraging local businesses like restaurants and hotels to offer discounts to card carrying members of Bass Unlimited.

8. Banned
    Use the #1 crop $$ of KY to fund it ....lol

9. Member
    I like the sound of that.

Maybe we start a "Bass Unlimited" organization with an annual $25 membership. You have state and local chapters what work with local bass clubs to generate funds to fight the Asian Carp. You could even take it a step further and work with local Chambers of Commerce and local Tourism Offices to promote the organization and increase membership by encouraging local businesses like restaurants and hotels to offer discounts to card carrying members of Bass Unlimited.
    I agree 100%

10. Banned
    Always does.

I would say let's let those who are hurt the most by Asian Carp pay for it. Let's start requiring that all fishing tournaments of 50 boats or more to register with the state, and pay a $250 fee as part of that registration to go toward an Asian Carp commercial fishing subsidy...at most that's $5 per boat per tournament. Take it a step further such that a 100 boat tournament requires a registration fee of $500, again no more than $5 per boat which can easily be collected by increasing the entry fee by $5. Think of the number of tournaments across the state each year and how those fees could easily add up to enough for a sizable subsidy to be funded. Tournament fishermen care the most about the Asian Carp problem, so let them jump in and be the heroes by heavily funding the subsidy.
    Drop the anti tournament bs and I’m good with it. Needs to be a way pleasure boaters and fishermen get some skin in the game as well.

I fish tournaments and have zero problem with increased entries. At the same time I’m not about carrying a bunch of freeloaders on my back either! I have spent two full weeks at lbl a year since I can remember, spent many weekends there as well. I have never fished or intend to fish a tournament on Ky lake.

11. Member
    My uncle's been saying to let the prisoners at eddyville net them and clean them. Then use the catch to feed all the prisoners across the state. Free labor, reduced spending.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    My uncle's been saying to let the prisoners at eddyville net them and clean them. Then use the catch to feed all the prisoners across the state. Free labor, reduced spending.
    Win win solution there. I just don't think it's possible to catch them out, fertilizer could be big if someone can transform it.

13. Member
    https://www.popsci.com/australia-pla...rp-with-herpes
    I’m not saying this is the answer but it is interesting

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky 520c View Post
    https://www.popsci.com/australia-pla...rp-with-herpes
    I’m not saying this is the answer but it is interesting
    If that where true then all the carp should be dead here. Have you seen some of the people swimming in Davenport bay in the summer

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 07vette View Post
    If that where true then all the carp should be dead here. Have you seen some of the people swimming in Davenport bay in the summer
    Lol.....

16. Member
    It's not just the bass tournaments that are suffering down there it's also all the people crappie fishing bluegill fishing. Everyone is suffering from them carp.

17. Member
    The problem with adding $5 or whatever to each entry fee for tournaments is that you will inevitably have politicians controlling that $. If you think they can be trusted to not divert that to one of their pet projects, you’re kidding yourself. I would be fine with paying a little more for a few things to actually eradicate them, but there would have to be serious checks and balances to make sure the correct people/organizations are getting the $.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Still learnin View Post
    The problem with adding $5 or whatever to each entry fee for tournaments is that you will inevitably have politicians controlling that $. If you think they can be trusted to not divert that to one of their pet projects, you’re kidding yourself. I would be fine with paying a little more for a few things to actually eradicate them, but there would have to be serious checks and balances to make sure the correct people/organizations are getting the $.
    That bad thing is the money is probably already out there.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Still learnin View Post
    The problem with adding $5 or whatever to each entry fee for tournaments is that you will inevitably have politicians controlling that $.
    But KDFWR receives no general tax fund dollars. They are their own entity. They've touted that forever!

20. Member
    Does anyone know what percentage of the KDFWR budget is going towards the carp issue? I asked this question at the public meeting at KY Dam Village, got no answer just avoidance. Not sure if they didn't know the answer, or didn't want to say. The reason I would like to know this, is it would tell us how important this issue is to KDFWR. I don't understand why other projects can't take a back seat for a few years why they focus more on the eradication of Asian carp. This money could be used to increase the price/lb to incentivize commercial fisherman. I also think there needs to be more investigation into other uses. Not sure there is enough demand in the food industry to get rid of the carp.
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast