Spooning For Deep Bass

Caught a limit of Spots and Largemouth Bass today while spooning off main lake points and secondary points on Bull Shoals lake. All keepers were 17” to 18” and had their belly full of shad. Arrived too late for topwater and couldn’t get a bite working the banks. So, around 11:00 we went into deeper water (30 ft to 75 ft) and found them there. Fished for an hour and a half and ended up with 18 or 20 fish. Throwing and vertical jigging 3/4 oz spoons. A couple keepers hit the spoon on the fall. Spooning is my favorite method of catching bass on this deep, clear water lake.

2. Member
    If you don't mind me asking what kind of spoons do you use. Various color or just solid color? I have never done that.

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Man, it seems awful early for that. You can work on them for long time now.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmorgan35 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what kind of spoons do you use. Various color or just solid color? I have never done that.
    Morgan, I've been having great success with 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz KT Spoons. But she died and the family closed the business. Now I use the same sizes in a chromed hammered spoon. Caught all my fish this time on the 3/4 oz version. Doesn't flutter like the 1/2 oz KT did but gets down very quickly to the deeper fish.

5. Member
    Caught some more bass spooning on Tue morning. Mostly fat Spots that had been feasting on shad and a few LMB and SMB. Plus we caught a pretty good size Hybrid and a walleye to boot. Caught fish early and was back home by 11:00 am. Too hot. My partner that day insisted on me taking a pic of him and one of his Spots for his girl friend.