Thread: jig mold

jig mold

Hey guys, I want to pour some swim jigs. Can you suggest a decent mold for these ? I will be fishing these in 2-6 foot of water. If there are more than on mold option can you comment on the reason for the particular mold you like.

Same request for hooks for swim jigs. I don't thnk I want a light wire hook . What hook should I get ? And why ?

Thanks. I hope to get the mold and hooks ordered any day now .
    GETFISHED !!!

The do-it poison tail jig works well. You can use both wide gap or regular hooks. You can also use light wire hooks or the standard hooks that do-it recommends.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

I like a bullet style head on a swim jig better than other options, including the Poison Tail. Depends on the water you fish, I'm sure, but the bullet style comes through the weeds much better. Something like the Do-It "Bullet Bass Weedless" that takes a 30 degree hook or the Do-It "Grass Weedless."
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I hadn’ Thought about the round bend or EWG. Which do you like better ?
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    Steve, I recommend the Trokar swim jig. It also makes a great bladed jig. You can get it from Barlows as well as some shakee blades. If you want to see some, pm me with your current addy and I'll send you some samples. Dayne

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-...lds-P2757.aspx

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    Steve, I recommend the Trokar swim jig. It also makes a great bladed jig. You can get it from Barlows as well as some shakee blades. If you want to see some, pm me with your current addy and I'll send you some samples. Dayne

A great swim jig and are a good all around jig.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot to also ask about the long shank hook. Yea or Nay ?
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post

What size hook are you putting in the mold ? A 3,4, or 5 ? I'm kinda thinking a 4 or 5 but also wonder about a long shank or EWG?
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I hadn’ Thought about the round bend or EWG. Which do you like better ?
    I prefer the round bend hook.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to also ask about the long shank hook. Yea or Nay ?
    My 1/4oz swim jig has a 4/0 hook. Not a long shank but a couple of sizes bigger than the mold suggests therefore making it a longer shank. All personal preference.

11. Banned
    Too bad You couldn't replicate these:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU_...e-MESURAP.html

They come through the pads like no other bait, not even a worm. They use a Trokar™ but I think it has to do w/the head design and no weed guard; the bait seems to 'roll through the V' of the lily pads..

The only drawback to these are they aren't wire-tied and use a rubber band. I will type that although rubber, they seem to hold up. I have a 1/4 and 1/2 w/different tails tied on and no problems. I get out 3-6x a week.

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    The only drawback to these are they aren't wire-tied and use a rubber band.
    Just wire tie them right in front of the skirt band. I do that with some spinnerbaits I buy that have banded skirts. The arm breaks long before the skirt gets trashed.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

13. Member
    What size hook are you putting in the mold ? A 3,4, or 5 ? I'm kinda thinking a 4 or 5 but also wonder about a long shank or EWG?
    The Trokar Swim Jig mold uses a heavy wire flat eye jig hook, I don't think there are long shank hooks that fit that mold. I apologize if I'm wrong but I'm thinking you are new to tackle making, at least pouring lead jigs. I say that because the lead molds will have a listed hook to use in both brand and size but you can go up or down at least one size in most molds and use other brands of hooks as long as they are similar in size and type. That said, you can modify the molds to take just about any hook you want to use but again, if you are new to this I don't suggest going that route. You never stated what size swim jig you want to use, that will help me suggest the mold and the hook, I have a couple different swim jig molds including the Trokar Pro Swim that you asked about and prompted me to respond. That jig has a 60 degree flat eye heavy wire hook like a stated, it is a good jig for heavier weeds and brush because the way it is designed even with a 5/0 hook the jig kind of stays compact so if you want a long shank hook this isn't the mold. Now I do think I can help you here but as I said, I need the size jigs you intend to use but for now lets just say I can narrow it down some. You'll need a jig that uses a 30 degree hook for a long shank hook but the long shank hooks are light wire so that kind of eliminates those, EWG hooks have longer shanks in order to help with the bend for the wide gap but it also doesn't give you the extra length you want from a long shank. I think your best bet is to use this mold -https://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Grass-Weedless-Jig-Molds-P262.aspx . And then use the Mustad 32886, the Eagle Claw 3886, or the VMC 7216. Those hooks should be strong enough, they are heavier than standard and light wire but aren't quite as heavy as a flipping hook, they are often called "light flipping" and they work great for swim jigs. If you go that route and decide that you can get away with a little lighter hook and want to try an EWG style, then you can use a Mustad 91768 or a VMC 7329, or if you want to see how a long shank will work you can go with the Mustad 32724. Don't get me wrong, the Trokar pro swim jig is really good but I use that for heavy cover almost exclusively, for everything else from moderate cover to open water I use the jig in the link and it works great. I think you'll find the Mustad 32886 or the Eagle Claw 3886 hooks to be strong enough, have a long enough shank, and have the right amount of gap in the sizes that you need to cover your swim jig needs but that is just me, anyway good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

14. Member
    Thanks Smalljaw67 and all others on this thread also. I did get the Trokar Pro Swim jig mold and I also chose the Eagle Claw hook. I think it is EL2706 in a 4/0 ? I am fairly new to this. I have poured a few roundball flipping jigs and a few football heads but wanted to try some swim jigs. Now that I have the mold, hooks, and skirts I can start experimenting.

The boat is unexpectedly in the shop for a while and it's going to be a while longer so I gotta get something to keep my mind together.

I appreciate all the feeed back guys.
    GETFISHED !!!