Ultrex vs. Ghost

I have always been a MK guy, and have had my 112 Ultrex for two years now. My first issue has been where the wires run into the head of the TM. I have had issues with the wires starting to "pull out" of the outside insulation. It still works, but it has become a hassle with trying to keep them organized. My greatest issue is how loud it is. In this case I am not referring to the actual motor. I am talking about the mount and the head of the TM. Both are always squeaking and clanking when I am in waves, moving left or right, etc... I have changed the bushings three times now. From your experience, am I going to be happier if I go with a Ghost? TIA.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

2. Member
    Look at the new Quest Ultrex

3. Member
    I went with the Ghost because of the Lowrance electronics already on the boat. At the time the brushless motor was a great option for myself and clinched the deal. If the Ultrex would have had the brushless motor at the time it would have been a much harder sell. The Ghost has been pretty reliable after 2 full seasons and suits my style of fishing very well. It is quiet until about 8 or 9 then gets as loud as any other motor but is very good on the batteries and pulls the boat great. I would get another if the decision was today.

4. Member
    I have used both and like the Ghost better. I have a ghost now.It’s a lot quieter.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    I have used both and like the Ghost better. I have a ghost now.It’s a lot quieter.
    ”Quieter” in reference to the issues I mentioned above?
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

If you can try the Quest - I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

7. Member
    Yes that and quieter operating too.

Quote Originally Posted by trenthamp View Post
    I have always been a MK guy, and have had my 112 Ultrex for two years now. My first issue has been where the wires run into the head of the TM. I have had issues with the wires starting to "pull out" of the outside insulation. It still works, but it has become a hassle with trying to keep them organized. My greatest issue is how loud it is. In this case I am not referring to the actual motor. I am talking about the mount and the head of the TM. Both are always squeaking and clanking when I am in waves, moving left or right, etc... I have changed the bushings three times now. From your experience, am I going to be happier if I go with a Ghost? TIA.
    I have an Ultrex 112/45 that I purchased in 2018. The only issue I've had with it is the wires pulling from the aperture on the underside of the head. I lost the snap-in plate and had to buy a replacement. Other than that I've been very happy with it. I don't baby it; I work it pretty good and it never quits on me. I had to use it to get back to the ramp from about 2 miles out a couple of years ago when my ECU fuse in my outboard blew and I had no replacement...no problem.

As for any mechanical noise from the mount or hardware? Not one problem. Make sure your mounting hardware is fully seated. They sometimes back out. Don't know what causes it...even when using Nylock nuts. That's become a PM item for me now.

My Ultrex works well enough that I can't justify getting a Ghost.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

9. Member
    In our Experiences the Ultrex is easier to get serviced if needed. There is limited Ghost service centers..

BassBoatWired.com
    ForwardFacingSoanrs.com
    Hunt.Scope.Fish

10. Member
    Love my ghost so much I had the Ranger dealer remove my 2-season old Ghost from my Triton and put it on my new z518. It’s fantastic. Uses noticeably less battery juice ; plenty of power; quiet; zero issues so far. I’m even still on my original prop.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559