Tilt Trim Question

I have been trying to figure out an intermittent tilt trim issue since this Spring. Sometime when I go to lower my OX66 225, it doesn't lower. If I raise the motor, (which always works), I can find a spot to it lower, if that makes sense. I have replaced the trim switch on the side of the motor, (cover). That did not help. I wondered if the relay was going bad. I tried looking this up on the SIM Yamaha site, but could not find the relay or part number. Anyone know the correct relay. Fortunately, this problem
    hasn't kept me off the lake this year. But I do want it corrected. I seriously doubt it is hydraulic related. All lift pistons have been rebuilt.

When it happens, I depress the lower switch and hear nothing. Then I depress the switch to raise the motor, it works every time. Never had an issue while operating the boat in the water.

2. Member
    Hard to say without seeing it work. Could be the motor going out. When mine went out, it would lower but not raise. I believe if it was the relay, you would hear it click but nothing would happen. The Yamaha trim motor is over $400, but you can get aftermarket for a lot less. I paid around $150 for mine at a local shop.

3. Member
    Thanks. I found the relay part number. I will do some checking before purchasing a relay. The motor always raise perfectly. This only happens when the motor is over 3/4 in the raised position.

4. Member
    Since it's working at all, it's likely not the relay. Those are usually just on/off. The motor could have a dead spot on it and won't run in certain positions. I bought a trim relay when mine went because I had a small window to solve it, but the new trim relay is sitting on the shelf in case I need it some day.

5. Member
    Dead spot in the motor makes sense. Just wonder why I never hit it raising the motor. Guess I need to look for motor shop in the Athens, GA area. Hopefully I can cross reference or find a cheaper aftemarket like you did.

6. Member
    They are not hard to find. Several are on eBay. They way it works is that there is a flat pin on the end of the motor that fits in a slot on the unit. The motor has to spin in two directions. The brush on one direction could be gone creating what I call a flat spot. If you current motor isn’t fried, a starter rebuild place can rebuild it. Mine was too far gone to rebuild.

7. Member
    Good information. I see that you can purchase brushes from SIMYamaha. Out tech's at work replace brushes in our motors when needed. I may pull the motor this weekend and have them look at it next week

8. Member
    If you go that route, don't forget to get all the o-rings so that they can be replaced once it is removed and opened up. Worth a shot as long as the motor is not damaged.

9. Member
    Did you get it solved?

10. Member
    Well, long story made short, was on the way to the lake to test everything last Saturday AM and I totaled by boat trailer, (boat seems ok). I just finished purchasing a new trailer and am now waiting on it to be delivered. I will let you know as soon as I can verify. Oh well, now I have a restored TR21 and a new trailer.

11. Member
    Wow, what a story. Hope no one was hurt.

12. Member
    No one hurt, freak accident, I tried to avoid someone pulling out and slammed boat fender into an I beam supporting a sign. Ran the motor up and down many times yesterday, seems to be working fine best I can tell.

13. Member
    Glad no one was hurt and that you T/T is back up and running. Was surprised when mine went out, but it happens.