Thread: Leveling boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leveling boat

Still trying to learn to drive my stroker. I know balancing the load helps and best Ive ran mine was with a friend that weighs 150. Dad goes alot and he’s probably 250. Boat leans pretty bad to passenger side with dad and I have a level. Two batteries on pass side one driver side. Ive tried moving all my roads and heavy tackle to drivers side. Any relatively cheap compact weight options to balance?

2. Member
    I run re-cycled lead shot in bags (trap shooting shot) when I add ballast for a passanger. Not the most in-expensive but it does work and isn't a solid mass of lead which I also have run. I've heard that sand in bags also works and the cost is very low.

3. Member
    Alone, I use lead shot bags. With my regular partner I have it balanced for 2 in the boat. Put a level across the deck and balance that way, to make sure.

4. Member
    ok are you guys adding your weight to the storage compartment behind the drivers seat if it’s heavy on passenger side? Unfortunately that box is almost full in mine. I don’t fish tournament so i don’t use the livewell guess I could add it there?

5. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    I have all three batteries on the port side oil tank on starboard side, this set up runs level with me alone in the boat. I add shot bags as far back as I can in the starboard side with the oil tank when I run with a partner.
    LeaLea

6. Member
    Add weight as far outside as you can. It takes less weight that way. You will never level it with weight in the center areas like the livewell.

7. Member
    What wags said and that's usually a perfect setup for me by myself. When I add another person I just re-adjust my tackle bag (which weighs close to 50#) and my partners gear.

8. Member
    There aint no way a snoopy bag weighs 50lbs

Same as above, I use the 25# lead shot bags inside of the Caldwelds lead sled weight bags. This way the shot is double bagged, durable and can be easily moved around with the loop handles on the Caldweld. Add up the total weight on each side and adjust the lead ballast as needed

10. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Yes for sure use the Caldwell bags as stated by Stroker3.2XS, thanks for adding that I believe real important to avoid a big mess.
    LeaLea

11. Member
    great guys thanks for the input.

12. Member
    I wouldn’t advise using lead shot bags if you fish a tournament.

13. Member
    I have lead shot in shot bags as well as in leather pouches used for hand forming sheet metal, they hold 25 lbs. Why wouldn't you advise using lead shot bags in a tournament?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroker250xs View Post
    I wouldn’t advise using lead shot bags if you fish a tournament.

14. Member
    I too would like to know why not?
    My shot is in shot bags wrapped with about 5 layers of duct tape. Shot doesn't bounce around like hard ballasts.

15. Member
    When I did need weight I used some old weight plates I had sitting around. 10 pound plates that I put together with duct tape. You can buy used weight plates here for 59 cents a pound. Cheaper than the bags I think.

16. Member
    Before I bought the shot I used blocks of lead wrapped in towels and duct taped. They weighed 25 lbs each. I then had 2 lead plates made that would fit under the driver and passenger seats. One at 25 lbs and one at 35 lbs, when I was working I had access to a foundry that we poured lead forming punches used to form contours in sheet metal. Depending on how the boat was loaded they velcroed under the seat cushions, that helped reduce the other hard ballast. When I currently put shot in the boat it goes in the rear compartment behind the oil tank in a plastic dish pan which helps keep it from moving around. I will also move tackle around to help with balance if my passenger doesn't have much stuff. I have also found that with a balanced load I'm good to around 90 mph then the left side will start to lift which means more ballast is needed in those situations.
    My rig is set up with 3 large optimas, battery charger, trim pump, throw cushion and about 10 lbs of tools in the passenger rear compartment. Behind the driver I have a 3 gal oil tank, plastic dish pan with a 10 lb anchor that I have never used, another dish pan with 1 qt of oil, tow rope with snaps and weigh bags. I put the shot in the rear plastic dish pan with the anchor. The dish pans keep stuff from moving around. Like was said earlier, weigh all your stuff on each side as well as yourself and add ballast so the weight is equal for both sides and that will get you close the balance. I also used to carry a 4 ft level in a rod locker to check balance when I first got started. (Went the the 08 Stroker Rally and Kurt just about busted a gut). Up front I run rods in both lockers, vests in the rear front compartment, 10 lbs tackle, towels and minimal cloths in the front locker. Net goes under passenger console. Keep in mind I have Left Hand steering but all of the above will still apply for right hand steer.

Why wouldn't you advise using lead shot bags in a tournament?

People have been known to shove lead down the fish making them weigh more. Yes, everyone has lead sinkers in the boat, but it's one less thing someone could accuse you of.

18. Member
    I assumed that's what you were talking about. I'm sure it's been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroker3.2XS View Post
    Why wouldn't you advise using lead shot bags in a tournament?

People have been known to shove lead down the fish making them weigh more. Yes, everyone has lead sinkers in the boat, but it's one less thing someone could accuse you of.
    2009 Stroker 300XS

19. Member
    Thanks guys looks like i need to get some bags of shot. Ive got 3 cases of duck loads I may put in boat til then lol.

20. Member
    I have my boat setup for running single. 3 batteries on the passenger side with the oil tank and tackle on right hand side.

If I am balanced like that, which I think I am, adding a 200lb person on the left hand side would require 200lbs on the right side to return to balance.

Wish there was an easy way to shift batteries from one side to the other. That way moving one 60lb battery from the left side to the right side would only require adding 80lb of additional weight to the right side.

Is my math correct?
    fastglass1
    2000 Stroker
    2005 250XS
    30+ Performer 3 and 30 Performer 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast