No oil alarm and going into slow mode

Helping a student get his outboard up and running. Model is 115TLRZ. He's getting a no oil alarm even with the tank full and then the motor goes into slow mode and won't go over 2000 rpm. I replaced the 30amp fuse and fuse holder since when he started the motor and let it run for a minute it was too hot to touch. Unplugged the sensor wires on the head and hooked the black and grey wire together, constant alarm after that. Looked at the thermostats to make sure they moved freely and they did. He had the carbs rebuilt last summer so I didn't tear into them. I'm guessing it's a sensor or wiring issue but not sure where to start. Just trying to help this kid get on the water for as little cost to him as possible. Thanks for any help guys
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

2. Member
    If it has a remote oil fill, check the filter coming out of the bottom of the oil tank in the bilge. My 04 ox66 was throwing oil alarms and after changing the filter, no more alarms. Just a place to maybe start, good luck!

3. Member
    Had him do that last night, said it didn't change anything. Know of any way to bypass the sensors to just see if those are the problem?
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"