Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Castaic, CA
    Posts
    108

    Falcon questions

    I had an old Ranger 521 (2003) for may years and recently purchased a Phoenix 921 that I was enjoying quite a bit. Unfortunately the Phoenix met a horrible end after being stolen, stripped and burned so I find myself looking at a new boats again. I am looking at a Falcon 215 or possibly the 205. I am interested in all Falcon information but am most conecerned about loaded speed, rough water ride fit and finish.

    Is the Falcon a hand laid hull?
    Is the carpet high quality, thick and durable? (most obvious shortcoming in the Phoenix.. I almost wish I could order no carpet and install SeaDek myself)
    How does the overall boat feel for quality?
    Gel coat appearance?

    Rough water is the boat dry and a predicatable ride?
    How is slow speed manuevarability and response to trim and jackplate settings?

    How does the boat fish? (this body was not built on salad so lateral stability is important)
    Overall ergonomics feedback when running the trolling motor.

    Livewell feedback?


    Is it hard to fuel?
    I live in a place that has clean and dry rules (California) so I need to be able to ensure the livewells, bilge and entire boat drain all water out and can be cleaned and dried to go from one lake to another. (Do not even ask what a PITA this is) Has anyone tried this with their Falcon.


    If anyone has been on both an old 521 or a 921 and a Falcon what are your impressions?

    I realize this is a long list of questions but there is not a Falcon dealer out here so I am relying on feedback to make a decision. I would love to ride in a Falcon first but may still buy one. It is between a Phoenix and a Falcon. Thank you for any feedback you are able to provide and have a wonderful day!

  2.  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Forsyth
    Posts
    2,230
    #2
    I have been in all 3 boats you've mentioned. The 521 ranger is my least favorite. Good quality, but it rode hard in rough water. Both the 521 and 921's fish great with HUGE decks. The 921 has a much softer ride. Although I haven't been in a 215 yet (I"m gonna have one to demo this weekend), I owned a 205 and have another one on order now that should be done in a couple weeks. The 921 probably rides a smidge better just do to size. But it would be a narrow margin in comparison to the 205. But, the 205 is likely 2-3mph faster and has almost a big of a deck as the 921. It is more of the corvette of the Falcon lineup even though it's not as fast as some of the BassCat's. It's a good mix of performance and ride. The 205 drafts really nicely with the TM down and handles rough water with ease. The 215 is designed to ride a bit softer and has a bit longer deck. But, it won't be as wide as the 921 or 521 in the nose. It still has a 99'' beam, but doesn't carry it quite as far forward as the 921 or 521, or even the 205. That being said, it still has a HUGE deck! If it doesn't have enough room for you, you got something wrong with you! Hopefully after this weekend I can get you more details on the 215. But, with the same options, I'd say a 215 will be 8-10K less money than the 921 new, and probably 10-15K less than a new Z521 (again, same options).

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    S.E. TEXAS
    Posts
    37
    #3
    I have a 215
    carpet and front deck in front of the boxes is padded. Great quality carpet.
    Overall fit and finish is great.
    I haven't had it in anything over 2 footers but the ride in that was great. It is also dry in the 2 footers.
    Slow speed maneuverability is unreal in this boat. Mine has a 4 blade 24 pitch fury on it and you cannot make it blowout. Slow speed handle is amazing
    I am not a salad fan as well. This boat is huge. Fishing stability is awesome. 3 GROWN men ( 2 front and one in the back) you could not feel when someone is moving around.
    The livewell has a drain plug in a recessed hole so all water is drained when pulled. The remote plug for the boat is makes taking the plug in and out effortless.
    Fueling is not a problem. I set the pump on high and leave it alone. No burping or spewing of gas.
    I have spent a lot of time in an 04 521 and this boat stands heads and shoulder above it.
    If you have any specific questions or would like some pictures of something specific feel free to give me a call or text. (936) 402-5398. Kurt

  5. Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Castaic, CA
    Posts
    108
    #4
    I have been meaning to get back to you but I had to run a pair of TBF tournaments this weekend and the questions ate up my free time. Damn Fishermen... How does the 215 do speed wise? I expect it to be low 70's but how does it feel when you are running around with your friends or at a tournament blast off. I already have mine on order so I guess I made a decision. Getting a 215 with the new Merc 250 XS. PP, ultrex 3 graphs etc. Thank you very much for the information you have already provided. Falcon family seems small but growing.

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    S.E. TEXAS
    Posts
    37
    #5
    I have only had mine 3 weeks now. Finally was able to get the break in period done on the 250 pro xs last week. I fished a team tournament Saturday and Sunday with 97 degree temp and ran 69 consistently. I am still trying to find the sweet spot on the hydraulic jackplate. That is with a serious load. All storage bins full of tackle 45 rods full of fuel and livewells full. I am running a 4 blade fury 24. That is 2" prop to pad. I started at 3" and I had to drive it. At 2" you could just point and go. Congrats on the new boat. I am a little jealous that you are getting the new 4 stroke. I had a chance to see one run this weekend and I do not think you will be disappointed. Good luck and if I can help in any way just let me know.

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,274
    #6
    Going to be fun to see how the V8 runs on the 215. I think they come with a 23 Fury but that might be too small.

  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Castaic, CA
    Posts
    108
    #7
    I have a 25 Bravo XS laying around so I am going to test that as well once I get it in August. A 24 Fury sounds like it should be close to right for a 3 blade unless the 215 needs the bow lift from a Tempest. I will document my setup work once I get her broken in and going. I was surprised that the factory came back and told me to go with a 6 inch Hydraulic Jackplate vice a 10 or 12 but I assume there is a hydromatic reason for it. We need some chatty Falcon folks in here to feed me a new post or two a day until the boat comes in.

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,274
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rudebee View Post
    I have been in all 3 boats you've mentioned. The 521 ranger is my least favorite. Good quality, but it rode hard in rough water. Both the 521 and 921's fish great with HUGE decks. The 921 has a much softer ride. Although I haven't been in a 215 yet (I"m gonna have one to demo this weekend), I owned a 205 and have another one on order now that should be done in a couple weeks. The 921 probably rides a smidge better just do to size. But it would be a narrow margin in comparison to the 205. But, the 205 is likely 2-3mph faster and has almost a big of a deck as the 921. It is more of the corvette of the Falcon lineup even though it's not as fast as some of the BassCat's. It's a good mix of performance and ride. The 205 drafts really nicely with the TM down and handles rough water with ease. The 215 is designed to ride a bit softer and has a bit longer deck. But, it won't be as wide as the 921 or 521 in the nose. It still has a 99'' beam, but doesn't carry it quite as far forward as the 921 or 521, or even the 205. That being said, it still has a HUGE deck! If it doesn't have enough room for you, you got something wrong with you! Hopefully after this weekend I can get you more details on the 215. But, with the same options, I'd say a 215 will be 8-10K less money than the 921 new, and probably 10-15K less than a new Z521 (again, same options).
    215 is the same as the 921 at the front seat pedestal. The both measure 68 inches across there.

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,274
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by littleluk View Post
    I have a 25 Bravo XS laying around so I am going to test that as well once I get it in August. A 24 Fury sounds like it should be close to right for a 3 blade unless the 215 needs the bow lift from a Tempest. I will document my setup work once I get her broken in and going. I was surprised that the factory came back and told me to go with a 6 inch Hydraulic Jackplate vice a 10 or 12 but I assume there is a hydromatic reason for it. We need some chatty Falcon folks in here to feed me a new post or two a day until the boat comes in.
    A guy in Texas has a single console 215 with a 250 Pro XS 2 Stroke and runs a 25 Fury 4. Runs 72 to 73 loaded.
    Last edited by Sports1; 06-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.

  11. Member JK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Scottsboro
    Posts
    180
    #10
    I’ve got a 215 with a 250 Yamaha sho...hyd plate...25 fury. 70-71 loaded.

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    20
    #11
    Any updates on the posts above now that y'all have had some time behind the wheel? Rough water? Layout of one vs the other? Pros and Cons of the lid configuration in the Falcon?
    I am looking between the Falcon, Phoenix, and a little at the Charger.
    Thanks folks!

  13. Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Castaic, CA
    Posts
    108
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenkins12 View Post
    Any updates on the posts above now that y'all have had some time behind the wheel? Rough water? Layout of one vs the other? Pros and Cons of the lid configuration in the Falcon?
    I am looking between the Falcon, Phoenix, and a little at the Charger.
    Thanks folks!
    I am sure you saw them but I posted a few reviews and there have been some other great comments by other posters. Short version is I love the damn thing. All of the boats mentioned have strong points and are very close to one another. I think the Falcon and the Phoenix ride is close enough to each other that it will always come down to driver, although I do think the Falcon likes turning sharper a bit more and the Phoenix is few mph faster. Layout and the lids on the Falcon are better. Rod locker and bilge area being the highlights. I JUST ordered some lithiums and I am looking forward to installing them. That is not something I would say about any other boat when swapping 4 batteries. Find some folks close to you with the boats you are interested in and go take a ride. I do not know anything about a Charger and will never say anything bad about a Phoenix as they make a fine boat and every Phoenix owner has a right to be proud. Feature and quality for the dollar, Falcon got my business.

  14. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Clyde, Ohio
    Posts
    91
    #13
    Your getting Lithiums?!?!?! Nicceeeee!! I have a sponsorship with a company who is starting to make bigger Lithiums so I plan on switching over eventually....what company did you end up going with?
    2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

  15. Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Castaic, CA
    Posts
    108
    #14
    I bought from Drewtik on the Phoenix forums. He is a BBC board sponsor and offers deals to BBC members. He sells K2 and Ionic batteries and I went with the Ionics. There is a large thread about them on the trolling motor/electrical forum.