Brisket on BGE - tips needed

My second cook ever, and first brisket ever on the Egg I decided to cook a small 2.5 lbs flat, I found on the clearance rack at Kroger for $10. Nothing special, just an angus beef brisket. I threw together a little rub and went for it. I set the egg up indirect at 250 figuring it would take 5-7 hours for a small piece like that. It took about 7 hours with a little stall in the middle. I'd give it a 6.5 / 10 for a first try. I had good bark, and a little smoke ring and it tasted pretty good. Parts of the brisket were moist and tender, while other sections were a little dry and tougher. I realize one mistake I made was using mesquite chips instead of chunks, I grabbed the wrong bag. What can I do to make the next one better? Do you guys have a recommended temp that works better on the egg? I watched a few different youtube videos on it, most were between 250-275. I'm going to try again maybe on 4th of July with a bigger brisket. Also, both cooks I've made on the egg, it has rained in the middle and as soon as it started my temps started to rise. Is that normal? Yesterday I was pegged at 250 then the rain started and it shot up to 300.

2. Banned
    Buy a full packer next time!
    Too me the flat is great cold finger snack...the point is the money hot eat.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Buy a full packer next time!
    Too me the flat is great cold finger snack...the point is the money hot eat.
    Well for $10 I didn't care. I didn't want to turn a $40 piece of beef into charcoal either.

4. Banned
    Know what I call brisket? Leather--at least when I cook it.

As someone with deep Southern roots, if I use my smoker it's for pork or chicken. I paid $1.19 a pound for a Boston Butt the other day --1/4th the price of beef.

5. Member
    The more fat the better! Season overnight in the frig with your favorite rub...My favorite is Fiesta Brand brisket rub...Set the egg up for direct grill and get it up to cook at 400 degrees. Put the meat on the grate with fat side down and cook at 400 until internal temp reads 75 degrees...remove meat and set egg up for indirect cooking with the plate setter legs up and set the grate back on it...throw in a few fresh pecan chunks if you can find them "fresh" and not shipped in a bag...otherwise use what you can get....reinsert the meat fat side down again...cook at 225-250 degrees until internal temp is at 150 degrees...remove meat and wrap completely in foil making a "boat" to seal in all of the juices remembering which side the fat is on...place the meat back on the egg still indirect with the plate setter and grate but with the fat side up this time... cook at 225-250 degrees until internal temp is 200 degrees. Remove the meat with the foil wrap carefully as to not puncture the boat..set the meat on a small rack inside a cooler of approximately 48 in size...let sit for around 1 1/2 hours..which is generally perfect for cooking your veggies on the egg last... open up, cut and serve...MMM...PS the cooler storage with foil wrapped boats also works great with Boston butt...and other roasts...hope you enjoy my recipe!...it actually stemmed from a competition recipe from John Henry...famous BBQ champion and maker of numerous rubs and spices! he sells his rubs and sauces on line and they are quite delicious... although his brisket rub is not my very favorite one...

6. Banned
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTQryAl...=1l6ln4gn4v7xh

I did this one at 225 for 21hrs on my LBGE

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTQryAl...=1l6ln4gn4v7xh

I did this one at 225 for 21hrs on my LBGE
    I tried to open the pic but I don't have instagram. I'm sure it looked great, I've seen your other posts. My next attempt, I'm going to buy a flame boss or Guru for. I don't want to have be stuck at home all day. I know you have the flame boss Clif, do you use it for all your grilling/smoking for just the long ones?

8. Member
    Fat side down if your using anything where the heat is going to be coming from the bottom.

We currently only cook 5-10 briskets a week currently but what I can tell you is bullet points from what works best for myself personally.

Our cooker runs best between 265 and 275, it's the sweet spot for it to hold and maintain

With our 265/275 temps we are seeing briskets finish out at 7 hours, usually wrapping them around 5 hours when they hit the 165-170 range. Finish temp on the flat is around 197, but probe tender is best judge.

Once finished out, we put them into a cooler, if multiple are going in we do not worry about using a blanket, if solo we put a blanket or towel in to help hold in the heat. Minimum of 1 hour in cooler, we did some over the holiday we held for 7 hours and they were butter from edge to edge.

Make sure you know your grain, if your doing a flat only I'd suggest wrapping in foil and add a bit of beef broth when you hit that 160 area, take it up to 195 and pull, cooler with a towel for a hour or so. When you go to serve, if you want the bark firmed up put it back on the egg for a bit to firm it up and slice and serve.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I tried to open the pic but I don't have instagram. I'm sure it looked great, I've seen your other posts. My next attempt, I'm going to buy a flame boss or Guru for. I don't want to have be stuck at home all day. I know you have the flame boss Clif, do you use it for all your grilling/smoking for just the long ones?
    For jerky at low temps,long cooks and nothing over 300. Look into the smobot also.

10. Member
    Thats what I thought. Never heard of smobot, doesn't look like they have been released yet.

11. Member
    good point glfgd82....my recipe does not work well on flats...gotta be thick and full of fat on one side...or all temps and times are out the window...

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Thats what I thought. Never heard of smobot, doesn't look like they have been released yet.
    They have been and lots of people really like them. I'll probably buy 1 myself.