newb with a smoker

planning on getting a Char Broil Electric smoker here soon after my wedding and had some questions.

I'm looking at the Char Broil 505 Electric smoker. other than the obivious what are some things to get with it that make it easier to use.
    is there a type of internal meat thermometer to use to check internal meat temps that stays in the meat while smoking? or do you all just open the door to check on internal temps?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    planning on getting a Char Broil Electric smoker here soon after my wedding and had some questions.

I'm looking at the Char Broil 505 Electric smoker. other than the obivious what are some things to get with it that make it easier to use.
    is there a type of internal meat thermometer to use to check internal meat temps that stays in the meat while smoking? or do you all just open the door to check on internal temps?
    YES!!!! get some sort of remote thermometer. I use an I-Grill mini which connects to my phone via Bluetooth. I just set back on the couch drinking beer watching the temp rise. Can set alarms and all sorts of stuff.

Makes all the difference in the world.

3. Member
    utube has alot of info
    TrackerUser

Get a good thermometer with multiple probes. Use one to check the smoker temperature. The included thermometers are usually not accurate. I use the Thermopro TP20 off Amazon. It is very easy to use.

Mine is a propane smoker so I put lava rocks in the wood chip pan to prevent the wood from burning vice slow smoking.

Go easy on the wood at first. IMO, you can overdo the smoke.

amazingribs.com has a TON of good info. The Ultimate Turkey done exactly as described is a huge hit every time I make it. I get requests around the holidays for them. A good sweeter rub was recommended to me on here is Meat Church Honey Hog. It is awesome for pork shoulder and ribs.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 06-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Another vote for ThermoPro TP20. eBay had several with better prices than amazon

6. Member
    [QUOTE=06 SB;9406376]

Go easy on the wood at first. IMO, you can overdo the smoke.
    QUOTE]

I agree. I saw somewhere years ago that you should stop smoking around 140 degrees then finish with no smoke. Seems if I go past that point I start to get a bitter flavor.

7. Banned
    I just smoke the first hour. And I have been known to move the food to my gas grill to finish cooking.

Wish I had more patience and wasn't so lazy or I would bring out the Weber every night.

we got the Smoker in yesterday afternoon so I was pretty excited to try it.
    got it fired up and seasoned like the manual says to burn off any left over stuff from the manufacturing and shipping
    got a smaller pork tenderloin cut and some cherry wood chips and fired it up on 225 degrees for 2 hours. got the meat up to about 150 degrees and pulled it out.
    that had to have been the best piece of pork I have ever had. was tender juicy and had a great flavor.

I can see me and this smoker are going to get along great

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    we got the Smoker in yesterday afternoon so I was pretty excited to try it.
    got it fired up and seasoned like the manual says to burn off any left over stuff from the manufacturing and shipping
    got a smaller pork tenderloin cut and some cherry wood chips and fired it up on 225 degrees for 2 hours. got the meat up to about 150 degrees and pulled it out.
    that had to have been the best piece of pork I have ever had. was tender juicy and had a great flavor.

I can see me and this smoker are going to get along great
    Pork tenderloin is a great piece to start with. Unless you over cook its pretty hard to screw up. For as easy as it is to cook its still one of the best pieces of meat off of a smoker.

Try some injections.. makes them even better.

Think next I want to try a Beef Brisket.
    I love Ribs but the wife isn't big on ribs so think the Brisket will go over well.