206 rough water ride

I picked up a 206 DL a few weeks ago. The lake at home I primarily fish is only 2,600 acres;so it doesn't ever get too bad rough. This past weekend I went to Norfork lake in north central Arkansas and I got beat to death. With the trim all the way down and running about 30 mph I'm still get a bunch of bow lift when crashing into waves. I have a 200 Black max and it is sitting real high on the jack plate, damn near the top. Any ideas of what can do to get a better rough water ride???
    2022 Xpress X21 DC
    dual 8ft Power-Pole Blades
    8” Atlas Hyd Jackplate
    250 SHO
    trying to find the right prop

2. Member
    I had my boat in legit 3' rollers last weekend. So bad infact after the six mile run my power pole paddles looked like kites hanging off he top of my poles. A guys just gotta jockey thru the waves to avoid the "beating". A hydraulic JP does help to keep the prop in the water. Also I have to change my prop to one pitch lower to give it more pep to get stay on plane.
    PS thanks to power pole sent me everything I needed to repair at NO charge!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

3. Member
    I sold my 193 intimidator after dealing with 3 foot white caps in a tournament. It also happened that a friend was unloading his 209te at a great price.
    The 209 handlea 3 footers without issue. I keep it under 50 and trim up a little and let the hull squash the waves. The shape of the bow helps to create lift from air and this shape also captures the force of the water when trimmed down all the way.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    I had my boat in legit 3' rollers last weekend. So bad infact after the six mile run my power pole paddles looked like kites hanging off he top of my poles. A guys just gotta jockey thru the waves to avoid the "beating". A hydraulic JP does help to keep the prop in the water. Also I have to change my prop to one pitch lower to give it more pep to get stay on plane.
    PS thanks to power pole sent me everything I needed to repair at NO charge!
    I picked up a hydraulic JP, just need to get installed. Hopefully I will get that done this week. My boat also doesn't have trim tabs.
    2022 Xpress X21 DC
    dual 8ft Power-Pole Blades
    8” Atlas Hyd Jackplate
    250 SHO
    trying to find the right prop

5. Member
    I don't know about a 206 but the 209 does NOT have the standard bolt pattern you will likely have to use your current Gambler CMC as a pattern to drill it. I went thru this with Bob's ordered one for a Gambler... Ended up having to return it and get one with no holes then drill them myself which was a B*tch
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

6. Member
    I have a 209 also. I had to drill mine too

When it's rough out I leave the 206 at home and take the Ranger. No matter what you do the first generation hull is not good in rough water.
    Also the 209 is 2nd gen hull. Hull design Changed in 1993.
    Good luck.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensy View Post
    When it's rough out I leave the 206 at home and take the Ranger. No matter what you do the first generation hull is not good in rough water.
    Also the 209 is 2nd gen hull. Hull design Changed in 1993.
    Good luck.
    Hull design changed in 94.
    1988-93 was a 206
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

9. Member
    As far as rough water ride"........get rid of the bench seat. Padding is only about 3” thick. Put good seats in it from Deans Top &Canvas or Bassboats seats.com
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H