Whopper Plopper question

had bought some of the 90 Whopper Ploppers a while back and just got to use them this past weekend. one thing I noticed was I got a ton of line twist.
    think I was reeling too fast making the bait spin but the fish seemed to want it moved fast. have you all tried to take and put a swivel on the line tie to keep from getting line twist? does it affect the bait action in any way.
    was also thinking about changing the hooks out to something a little better than the stock hooks also fish seemed to slap at the bait and missed a lot of fish because of it.

The 90s always seem to have the spinning problem unless you reel them very slowly, so I think your observations are right on. Instead of messing with a swivel, I'd personally just go to a 110 size if you need to reel it fast. Relatively small difference in size, and they don't spin. Or at least spin much less often.

You also could try throwing them on braid...then it doesn't really matter if your line twists.

If you think it wouldn't mess you up, the swivel certainly couldn't hurt. You may want to use a true ball bearing swivel, though. The other kinds of swivels people say they use and prevent line twist with have never worked for me. When you play around with them and see how easily they bind up and stop spinning, I don't think it's surprising. Of course some folks swear they work! Different strokes and all that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

yea this past weekend was the first time I have got to use them and I did really well on them.
    I have some good ball bearing swivels I'm going to try and see how they work. just gonna play around with them some and see what happens

4. Member
    Put swivel on each one. Has work good for me.
    Semper Fi

have any of you all changed the hooks.
    seemed like I lost quite a few fish when I used them

I've had great luck with the stock hooks, but that may just be me. What rod are you throwing them on? I like something with a more moderate action on baits with treble hooks in general. The one I use is a Lucky Craft composite that's rated as a medium-fast but is a medium heavy mod-fast on any conventional rating system. It's also the same rod I use for chatterbaits, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, squarebills, swim jigs, topwater walking baits, poppers, etc. I have 3 of them and wish I could buy more, but unfortunately Lucky Craft doesn't sell rods any more and getting information about the blank has been impossible.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

I was throwing them on a E21 Carrot Cranker 6'9" crankbait rod

Yeah, don't think the rod is the problem then. Couldn't hurt to try out hooks of your choice on them! Maybe some KVD Triple Grips or something? Not a Plopper, but I've been fishing some custom painted knockoff Shower Blows with KVD Triple Grips and been extremely pleased with how they work on a topwater bait. I knew they worked on subsurface baits, but not understanding treble hook dynamics all that well, I initially wasn't too sure how they'd do in this setting. The proof is in the pudding!

In fact, here's a smallmouth that hit one this past Saturday. Maybe not clear from the photo, but the damn thing actually hooked itself in the tail with the back hook. I thought I had a state record trying to pull that thing in. I've never seen anything like it! One thing is for sure - you can't question their enthusiasm!

To be fair, I'm not sure I'd say that I've personally found the KVD Triple Grips to be any better at hooking up than other hooks of reasonable quality. Where they really shine is in keeping fish buttoned AFTER they're hooked. Perhaps some Owner ST-36s or Aaron Martens Gamakatsus would be better for sticking them in the first place. Both hooks are insanely sticky. I'd go with the Owners if it were me - the Aaron Martens hooks are sharp, but the heavier wire ones like I'd think you'd want on a Plopper aren't nearly as sharp as the thin wire ones. The Owner ST-36s are very strong and as sharp as the thin wire Martens ones.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Stock hooks on all wp have been great to me
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    I put a split ring on all my Ploppers no matter the size and then attach a ball bearing swivel to it and tie to this. stops all line twist. All of them will start spinning if you get grass or trash in the tail. This at least stops line twist

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    had bought some of the 90 Whopper Ploppers a while back and just got to use them this past weekend. one thing I noticed was I got a ton of line twist.
    think I was reeling too fast making the bait spin but the fish seemed to want it moved fast. have you all tried to take and put a swivel on the line tie to keep from getting line twist? does it affect the bait action in any way.
    was also thinking about changing the hooks out to something a little better than the stock hooks also fish seemed to slap at the bait and missed a lot of fish because of it.
    The hooks on the very first Whopper Ploppers weren't good, they changed them to the better hook they use now.

12. Member
    Are you using braid? I use a carrot stick too as a whopper plopper rod but a reg mh with braid. I also change hooks out to a size bigger on the 90 as I fish a lot of smallies that slash the bait.

13. Member
    Put the swivel from a spinnerbait blade on the line tie. Works great and is compact.

14. Member
    90s are to get bites 130s are for the ones you want. I throw the 130 95% of the time and have zero line twist problem
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

15. Member
    I can tell you this from personal experience this week,, you get the stock hook on the big ones run through your finger up to the bend, you wont like it!

16. Banned
    Bigger rear hook and smaller front hook,need that nose up!