Thread: Shakey head

Banned

Shakey head

Im trying to master the technique. I think its a fun rig and ive caught a few doing it. Jus curious some input as in weight for shallow and deep (20ft), what you like to use for plastics. I caught a few on a roboworm.

Id like to hear some input.

Who does the shakey head? Haha

2. Member
    Owner ultra finesse heads in whatever size u wanna use to contact bottom like u like and a Yamamoto curtail worm in w watermelon black flake is what I use
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

3. Member
    1/8 shallow and 1/4 deep is all I use for weights. Most any plastic works, worms, flukes, and little craws.

4. Member
    Yamamoto Pro Senko 6.75"

My favorite bait for a shaky head is the Pro Senko. I love the action on the bait and the fish can't stand it in their face. Yes, they cost a little more, but their worth their weight in gold to me. Very good shaky head bait!

As for the actual shaky head, I prefer 1/8oz or 3/16oz for shallow water, and 1/4oz or 3/8oz for deeper water.

If you want to talk about mag shaky head fishing, that requires different gear.

As I only fish the Shakyhead on a baitcaster (7' M & 7' MH rods, 10 lb FC), I just use 1/4 oz jigheads. The Owner Ultra Shakyheads come in both football and (sorta) round head, and I like them a lot, if I use the correct shape for the lake I'm on. My pending TW order has a couple of other brands on the way, so I can't say I'm 100% sold yet. I wish the baitholder was larger, but that's all I'm not happy with. If I just used a skinny worm, I'm sure they'd be closer to ideal, but I do awfully well with a 5" or 6" Zoom lizard and have been trying this http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Verti...page-VLTX.html to give them a different look. If I don't get better results with these soon, I'll try the Zoom Baby Brush Hog.

6. Member
    Will have to try a lizard on a shaky head. Use lizards a lot but haven't on a s/h.
    Semper Fi

7. Member
    99% of the time I fish 3/16. I will use 1/8 if I'm in super shallow water and I will fish 1/4 if I'm in deeper water but most of the time it is a home made 3/16. If I need to get deeper than these cover I fish a drop shot. I do fish some magnum leadhead jigs with large worms but that is another deal.

8. Member
    1/4 or 3/8 Omega Shakey heads. Ive used the Owners too and like them ok. Just like the Omegas better. Dont be afraid to go against the grain when it comes to shakey heads and plastics. Of course any brand trick worm, senkos, paca craws, and my favorite is a Paca Slim. Awesome little shakey head bait. Dont forget about baby brush hogs too.
    Ans I do all my shakey head fishing with baitcasters, Diawa Steez SV and an ALX Dream with 12 pound flouro.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

9. Member
    BBH and Senko work great... try a 4" Senko..... Lately, I've been using a big TRD
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

10. Member
    Tried and true trick worms, mag trick worms. Sometimes I'll throw a rage or paca craw on there.

11. Member
    I am new to shakey head fishing and have had good luck with Zoom Magnum trick worms. My question is this---how important is it for the bait to float so the tail is always up? I just ordered some reactions inovations flirt worms and when dropped in water with a jig on the head the tail sinks to the bottom. The Zoom worms tails float up so its in a vertical position.

Shakey head is what i fish 80% of the time because im ususlly fishing grass beds or docks. Ive used finesse worms, trick worms,shakey head worms, ole monsters and lizards. Ive had more bites on a finesse worm not to mention color section. I bought about 5 different colors in the air tail rattlers i think its what there called. It looks like a trick worm with a air pocket in the tail to help it float up. Ive used them some and havent had many bites on them. I dont think them floating up makes any difference at all
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

13. Member
    I like these as well as the owner http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bagle...age-BAGSH.html. I fish the owner 3/16 in shallow water and the 1/4 or 3/8 in deeper water. Deeper water for me is when the water gets over 6 feet. Mostly I’m a Zoom finesse or trick worm guy, including the mag trick worms.

14. Member
    Michael Bury on FB and TFF makes the best shakey head type jigs I've used. I've tried quite a few of them and his work heads work very very well.

15. Member
    Kriets Big Bite Baits Squirrell Tail worm. It is one homely looking worm but it flat out catches.