Thread: Scratch repair

Scratch repair

While washing the boat today found a scratch that I must have picked up on my last fishing trip. I've read a ton of threads and the sticky on the issue. Just not sure what category of scratch this falls into or where to start. I've attached pictures. Is this a simple clear coat scratch or will I need to mix flake? Would the best way be to contact Triton to get the exact match?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member

You’re gonna need some Triton flake and clear gel for that....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Looks Deceiving Can you snag a fingernail in it? Is it through the clear?

5. Member
    The pictures had to be taken at an angle to be able to see it so it is definitely a little deceiving. Finger nail catches a little but mainly due to roughness and not depth if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to tell if it is through the clear?

You can try dabbing some water on the scratch - sometimes that will make the scratch "transparent" and easier to tell if there is still flake beneath the scratch.
    Too difficult to tell from your pictures, sorry.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=482762

7. Member
    Alright here's two new pics. First one is dry. Second one is wet taken on Macro settings. Looking at this it looks like the scratch goes into the flake.

For me still kinda hard to tell...I’m still sayin flake and gel...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    It seems similar to a few I had on mine. You may be able to minimize it a lot with out a major repair but I think to make it "disappear", with regard to the surface defect of the scratch, it'll probably require a repair job. A couple on mine were well into the gel but not quite to the flake, I tried some very detailed, focused polishing of the scratch groove itself, basically compound on a rag with a fingertip, and was able to sort of shine up the scratch groove itself. So it was a bit less noticeable, but certainly obviously still there.

The catch 22 to me is making flake match the original in a repair job, by a pro at that, is difficult and it almost never is a perfect match. So on one hand you could have a thin scratch line that you deal with the best you can, or you can have a perfectly smooth gel coat surface with no scratch, but a broader area from the repair where the flake isn't a perfect match to the rest of the boat.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp