Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marine master trailer help

Does anyone know how to make a marine master trailer load properly? I have fought and fought this thing. Shimmed the front over an inch to the point the boat doesn’t even touch the roller at rest on level ground. I have to put it so deep to unload it drops off the roller hard every time. Broken 2 hdsi transducers already. 250 hp can’t even pull it off the trailer if it’s any shallower. I don’t have the money to get a new trailer so I would really like to make this one work but I’m almost ready to trade boat in over having to mess with this trailer.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d think bunk slicks or spraying silicon in the bunks might help
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member

USA

I have a 19-1/2 foot triton with a 200hp Honda.

To unload I just back into the water until it ( unsticks from the trailer ) floats. Sometimes I have to go deeper than others. I depends on how steep the ramp is.

To load, I back the trailer in until the bunks are completely submerged. Then I pull out/up until the wheel fenders are showing about 6 to 10 inches above the surface of the water.

Then line it up and drive it on the trailer until it touches the bow stop/or comes close. Then winch it up tight.

You may have to play with a bit, but this should get you close. Good Luck.

I would not put silicone or anything to make it too slick on the bunks.

4. Member
    Thanks Roadrunner you described the process for every other boat and trailer I’ve ever had but if you reread my original post you will see my methods are not the issue. I’m asking what modifications are necessary to make it load via the method you describe and we all use on properly constructed/fitted trailers.

5. Member

USA

I had trouble until I hit upon the procedure I described. Are you putting the boats bow eye above or below the bow stop on the trailer?

I re-read your post, and the roller you are talking about is the bow-stop roller, right, and the bow of the boat falls off the roller and breaks the trolling motor transducer. It almost sounds like the bow stop is too high for the boat, or the bow stop needs to be moved toward the back of the trailer some. How much tongue weight do you have? If the bow stop is too far forward, it can cause this issue. Let us know.....

7. Member
    Thanks Texas. Bow stop was moved to the rear by previous owner. Tongue weight is about as low as I would comfortably go and transom is right at the edge of the rear bunks.

Road runner how and why why would anyone ever try to get the bow eye on the truck side of the roller?

8. Member

USA

I mentioned it because I have seen it on other rigs and I have questioned them on it. And on my trailer the bow stop post is welded to the frame. The bow eye stop post is adjustable about 6 inches. Maybe if you could post some pictures. We are trying help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Thanks Texas. Bow stop was moved to the rear by previous owner.
    How far did he move it? Maybe it is too far back. Move it forward and see what that does..... Mine has about 2" of bunk showing when it is loaded.

10. Member
    Thanks Texas and Roadrunner. It may be too far back. It was well behind the “place bow stand here” sticker so I moved it so the front edge hits the arrow but I was told today that the sticker should be completely covered and the REAR of the bow stand should align with arrow not the front. I can’t wrap my head around that making it any better but I will try it.

What kind of boat do you have? I know when I first got my Phoenix it came on a Marine Master trailer, it took a while to get used to loading it. I was backing in too far and the nose was coming in under the roller, once I figured it out (with some help) it's now a breeze.

12. Member
    Triton. Yes the problem is if I’m shallow enough to keep the nose from dropping the boat will not come off the trailer. I’m talking 4000 rpm in reverse won’t come off the trailer. The nose starts dropping before enough of the boat is off the bunk to let it slide off. I haven’t had an issue loading my previous two boats nor any of my buddies boats.

13. Member
    Nothing to figure out here guys other than what to change to fix it

I cant stand the Marine Master trailer under my Phoenix. I had issues with the roller scratching my boat from the time it was new. Called marine master and got blown off as not knowing how to load a boat even though all of my other boats didn't have issues loading. People started coming out of the woodwork with the same issues and the owner of marine master contacted me and said they were looking at using new rollers and he would call me when a solution was found. I'm still waiting on that call since last summer. I paid out of pocket to buy a better roller but I'm still not a fan of Marine Master. My next boat wont have one of their trailers under it. Try looking at a Stoltz bow roller with small end caps. It helped mine come on and off the trailer better because it doesn't rub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    . I can’t wrap my head around that making it any better but I will try it.
    I believe you will have more of the trailer in the water to unload the boat, so more of the boat will be floating - therefore less boat will be resting on the trailer than before, i.e. the stern will be off the trailer. When you load, you will be using more of the bunks to raise and guide the boat to the bow stop, so it should go on the trailer easier. I think it may fix your problem. At the least, it should take a lot less power to get the boat launched. It's hard to explain my thought process on this!! Be sure and let us know.

16. Member

USA

I know what you are talking about Texas. That is why they call it a " drive on trailer " jtreed99 Is the ramp you are launching on a very steep ramp? That could have an effect. Good Luck.

17. Member
    Ramp is steep. Not as steep as others that I have launched countless other boats on.

18. Member

USA

I believe that is a big part of your problem. I have problems on steep ramps also. It has been awhile since I've been on one. You just have to do it in two steps. Maybe back it in until the boat breaks loose from the trailer ( you said it doesn't want to come off the trailer). I would think it would float not too far in ( unless the water is very dirty and it almost glues the boat to the bunks after you take it out ) Keep it hooked to the strap, and once it floats then put the trailer in deeper and let the boat off slowly so it doesn't drop off. Do the reverse when you load it ( two steps ) Hook the boat up and winch it up to the bow stop and then pull the boat our slowly. Maybe it two steps the adjust and pull out all the way. I am out of ideas without being there to see it. Good Luck.

19. Member
    I would also add that before launching, unlock the winch and let out a couple of feet of slack then re-lock before you back into the water. Don't unhook the strap from the bow eye. Enter the water slowly until the boat starts to float and move slightly to the rear. I've had 2 Triton/Marine Master combos and have had zero issues launching or loading. Best of luck with yours.

20. Member
    I have read that with my particular boat (X2 hull) most end up having to swap the bow stand for the lower one to be able to lead and launch. Glad you don’t have issues with yours. I’ve never had issues with any others I’ve owned nor any of my buddies regardless of brands and many of those have been Tritons with marine masters.

Again the previous owner who had also owned numerous boats before also had issue with it and mentioned it was his only dislike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast