Thread: 9 vs 380

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

9 vs 380

I hate to even bring this up. Going to be buying a CC pistol soon. Pretty much trying to figure out what I want. I am going to shoot multiple before I buy obviously. I have a m&p full size 9mm now. What are yall thoughts on a 380 vs a 9 for cc? I don't particularly want to be shot with either, however I understand that 9mm is a more powerful cartridge. My question to myself is am I going to be more likely to carry more often with a smaller 380? Or do I buy a summer/winter gun?
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

2. Member
    There are some really small 9mm pistols on the market now, no need to have a summer and winter gun and no need to buy a 380 IMO.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    There are some really small 9mm pistols on the market now, no need to have a summer and winter gun and no need to buy a 380 IMO.
    ^^^This^^^ With so many good compact single stack 9mm pistols available I wouldn't even consider a .380.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

4. Member

USA

I agree with both. Plus .380 ammo is more expensive and you already have 9mm ammo and all the cleaning supplies.

If you are not able to rack the slide on a 9mm is the only reason to buy a .380, as the spring is not as strong and makes the .380 easier to rack in a round. And you should have a round in the chamber before you leave your house. You don't have time to rack in a round if bad things are happening to you.

5. Member

USA

I agree with both. Plus .380 ammo is more expensive and you already have 9mm ammo and all the cleaning supplies.<br><br>If you are not able to rack the slide on a 9mm is the only reason to buy a .380, as the spring is not as strong and makes the .380 easier to rack in a round. And you should have a round&nbsp;in the chamber before you leave your house. You don't have time to rack in a round if bad things are happening to you.

About the only time I’d choose the 380 over the 9 is I need the smallest possible pistol for clothing and situations where I can’t easily conceal it. I considered one to wear when I run. Instead, I just gave up running.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    I carry a shield 9mm, that being said, under 20 feet a .380 will do virtually the same bodily damage.

I just never cared for the micro carry guns, don't want anything smaller than a shield size handgun.

8. Member
    Poor shot, so I shoot the cheaper ammo and send a bunch down range, 9MM.

9. Member
    Awesome. These are the things I wanted to hear. I'm familiar with my m&p,and as said, I have plenty of ammo and cleaning supplies. I'll stick with the shield most likely
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Shield 9mm is my EDC choice. Inexpensive, goes bang every time, and bullets go where I aim them. Can’t ask much more than that.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    M& P shield 9mm in the winter / Ruger LCR 38 special with laser grip for summer. LCR fits in cargo shorts pockets.

12. Member
    take a look at the Springfield XDS or the Kahr CW9, think it is being replaced with a newer model. Springfield has special going on to the end of June for 3 magazines.

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I will kind of go against the crowd here. I carry a Glock 26 9mm on a regular basis. I also own a m&p shield 9mm. Both are great, reliable and everything one would need for a defensive carry gun. That being said, even though both are small (shield by far smallest) neither one of them are 380 small. I have both a ruger LCP and a smith bodyguard and both can be dropped in the pocket of gym shorts without issue at all. Neither the 26 or shield can do that. At least not for me. Im not a pro 380 person but they do serve a role.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    About the only time I’d choose the 380 over the 9 is I need the smallest possible pistol for clothing and situations where I can’t easily conceal it. I considered one to wear when I run. Instead, I just gave up running.

If you carry when you run, a belly band would likely be a good way to securely hold it.
    I carry a Glock 43 9mm during the warmer weather here in Fl., a 26 with heavier clothes and or a 21 in the coldest months.
    Question everything!

Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    If you carry when you run, a belly band would likely be a good way to securely hold it.
    I carry a Glock 43 9mm during the warmer weather here in Fl., a 26 with heavier clothes and or a 21 in the coldest months.
    Yeah, that was my plan but figured it was just easier to not run. ;)
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    I carry two. First is a S&W 637. J-frame revolver, 5 shot, extremely compact and foolproof. Replace hammer spring with a lighter one from Wollf, and the trigger rebound spring, and the gun has a really nice double-action pull, and SA breaks right at 4 pounds.

But my favorite is my Kimber Micro-9. 8 rounds, very small, looks like a "honey I shrunk the kids" Colt 1911 (except for no grip safety). Shoots well. Needs a little trigger work which took about 30 minutes to clean up and get rid of the 7 pound lawyer trigger break. Crimson Trace laser grips (rosewood) produce a very small footprint with very classy looks. The beavertail grip really helps mitigate recoil as does the 7 round mag that gives you support for all 4 fingers on the grip. It is a 4" gun at 25 yards with a little care. And 8 rounds is better than the smith's 5. Not to mention a far quicker reload. Highly recommended. Real hammer gun too, not a DA only which I like much better compared to other micro-9mm choices...

I am not a fan of the .380... getting into the weak end of pistol SD rounds. 9mm/.38spl do pretty well for their size. Both fit in the pocket of my shorts or jeans, and disappear in a good holster (I prefer cross-draw, but have a couple of others for those times when another location seems appropriate.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

17. Member
    I carry a .40 Shield, .380 Ruger LCP and now a Sig P365 in 9mm. I pocket carry the Sig the most now. It is right in between the Shield and the LCP for size more capacity and less muzzle jump. It fits the niche that I set out to buy and I am happy.
    5 Short of a limit

i carry a 380, i used to ride motorcycles, i have a .40 in the truck/ whatever and or long guns, so for me tactical awareness is key, i am proficient at shooting but knowing ill catch the opponent off guard and get to my full size quickly i am not concerned especially with 380 damage vs 9 vs 40 vs long guns
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

19. Member
    I have several options for concealed carry, but I find that I like the smaller size and weight of my Glock 42 in .380 so I've been packing it most often. With proper bullets and proper bullet placement the .380 will neutralize any threat from anything that bleeds.

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have both, just depends on what I am wearing.
    More folks have been killed with a .22LR than anything else. not the punch of a 9 but with the right bullet it has enough penetration!!

Would I rather have a 9, Yes. Would I rather have a 45, Yes. But when it comes to having something verse nothing you have to pick your tool.
    I can carry a 380 in the pocket where I would have more issues with something else.

The gun on the left is a M&P compact, the next top is a Glock 42, 380 below that is a Kahr 9mm, top is a Kahr 380 and below it a KelTec 32. The Kahr 380 can go in any pocket of my clothes. I have a shield 9 and its a bit bigger than the 9mm Kahr. But fits great in a inside the waist ban holster. Of all of them the M&P is the best to shoot at the range.
    I shoot the other to stay on target. they arnt fun to put a bunch down range. But I shoot them to stay current. When I carry its one of the others and I don't know they are there. depending on what I where depends on what is with me. I don't feel in less protected with a 380 than a 9.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast