Thread: 9 vs 380

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    You already have a bigger 9, shoot it at the range and then throw a few of the 380 to stay current, You don't need to shoot it a whole lot, just stay proficient with it. Site is Site, Hold is Hold if you have good tendencies it will carry over, and if you need to use the gun the range should be short. Something that you should hit with any firearm.

2. Member
    I did not read all of the post but here is a suggestion----There are some private bullets producers that make some fantastic 380 rounds...Along with the personal carry weapon you also need to put the best AMMO in it you can find.Do your research on ammo and I think you will find there is a big variance in ballistics from the off the shelf bullets to the private MFG. ones.

I'm not a huge 380 fan but it isn't the calibers fault. The ammo is crazy expensive for a minimal self defense round.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I'm not a huge 380 fan but it isn't the calibers fault. The ammo is crazy expensive for a minimal self defense round.
    Its volume, they sell more 9 and 45 than 40 10MM 357 sig and 380 or 32.

I would rather have a 380 on me than a 22LR or 32. its all bullet placement. Its much easier to walk into a place with a pistol in your pocket than one strapped to your waist.

It makes no since that a .380 that has less brass, less powder, less bullet weight, yet cost more. It just pure volume of sales.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 07-08-2018 at 11:28 PM.

5. Member
    Sold my .380 1911 Browning & all my .380 ammo, as I don't plan to ever go with that caliber again. Went from .380 to .357 magnum.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    I carry two. First is a S&W 637. J-frame revolver, 5 shot, extremely compact and foolproof. Replace hammer spring with a lighter one from Wollf, and the trigger rebound spring, and the gun has a really nice double-action pull, and SA breaks right at 4 pounds.

But my favorite is my Kimber Micro-9. 8 rounds, very small, looks like a "honey I shrunk the kids" Colt 1911 (except for no grip safety). Shoots well. Needs a little trigger work which took about 30 minutes to clean up and get rid of the 7 pound lawyer trigger break. Crimson Trace laser grips (rosewood) produce a very small footprint with very classy looks. The beavertail grip really helps mitigate recoil as does the 7 round mag that gives you support for all 4 fingers on the grip. It is a 4" gun at 25 yards with a little care. And 8 rounds is better than the smith's 5. Not to mention a far quicker reload. Highly recommended. Real hammer gun too, not a DA only which I like much better compared to other micro-9mm choices...

I am not a fan of the .380... getting into the weak end of pistol SD rounds. 9mm/.38spl do pretty well for their size. Both fit in the pocket of my shorts or jeans, and disappear in a good holster (I prefer cross-draw, but have a couple of others for those times when another location seems appropriate.
    I have 2 of these and lov'em.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by Team Hobbie Hut View Post
    I have several options for concealed carry, but I find that I like the smaller size and weight of my Glock 42 in .380 so I've been packing it most often. With proper bullets and proper bullet placement the .380 will neutralize any threat from anything that bleeds.
    These are my thoughts also

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    These are my thoughts also
    Had Kahrs for years I carry the CM40 in my back pocket year round, nothing as small as it in a 9mm except the Diamond Back and I don't recommend it.
    Look at the CM9 as others have recommended!
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

I have a Kahr CW40 and is my everyday carry. I would carry a CW or CM9 in a heartbeat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    I am a revolver guy primarily. I own one 380 a nice stainless p232. Have bought and sold and had loaded just about all the main chamberings except the 38 super.

I woukd never recommend anything other than a 9mm or a 45 acp.

11. Member
    I have both 9mm XDS and 380 911. Depends on what clothes are on......
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

A 380 with the right ammo will do the job, but a 9mm is a better tool for the job. It really comes down to 3 main factors. Your dress, how you want to carry, and what you shoot best. For pocket carry I find even the smallest 9mm to large and a 380 to be a perfect fit.

I got rid of my 380 to consolidate calibers, and I was not a fan of ammo price of the 380. I am either carrying a 9mm LC9S, 45 Sheld, or M&P compact 9mm.

Since you have a full size 9mm M&P I would strongly recommend looking at the M&P compact. Your full size magazines are compatible. Mine is and insanely accurate pistol. Your dress would need to fit this gun because it is a bit bulky but I find it easy to hide. I carry my 45 most of the time honestly because I like its size.

You need a good gun belt if you are going carry iwb. Also a good holster I have tried lots of them but the N82 Tandem holster is by far the most comfortable and it is also the most secure. I am in Florida right now with it on and I am literally in love with this holster.

13. Member
    take a look at sig new p365 holds more ammo small size and 9mm amo cheaper and easy to find

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    After having to shoot a run over doe twice in the head to put her out of her misery with a 380, 9mm all day.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Member
    Everyone has opinions and it boils down to anything mentioned above is better than nothing. What about a 22 mag? I would want and have a hammerless wheel gun if my life was on the line. I have a few semi autos and several wheel guns. Never had a click on any of the revolvers! Can’t say the same for the semi autos.

16. Member
    I have some of everything but I prefer carrying a small 380 in my pocket on the ranch. Bad guys “rattlesnakes” are sometimes a daily occurrence. I wish somebody would make snake shot for this caliber. With the resurgence of this caliber in pocket carry pistols I hope some mfg will test the market. I would buy a case of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12