New boat purchase

Picked up a 2000 ranger a few months ago to take my boy fishing. I use to fish a lot and was pretty excited to get back into it. I had told myself that I wouldnt buy anything under 20ft but the boat I bought was a good deal and couldnt pass it up.
    Took the family to the lake last weekend and realized that a bigger boat would be nice. I love the 518vx but it's just not big enough. My wife even agreed which is rare. Lol
    I plan on buying another boat next year. Preferably with a new mercury. I love ranger boats and really cant see myself in something else. I am concerned about the quality issues I read about that people are having. Seems like ranger has lowered its quality a bit.
    Guess my question is, do I stick with ranger or look at other brands? I want a 21ft boat with a big front deck. I and going to be fishing tournaments as well as take the family fishing. They cost so much I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

2. Member
    They seems to be hit and miss. Just about every new rig seems to have a problem not just the ranger brand. My new ranger had several issues and ranger took care of them. Your best bet is making sure you go through a good dealer who will help resolve the issues.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Well said. I too bought a new Ranger this year, and of course follow other new Ranger owners’ experiences carefully. Not only will Ranger and a good dealer take care of every issue that pops up, but it’s important to realize that many, many components that give problems these days are used on a variety of boats, not just Rangers. I’ve had 5 or 6 issues with my 2018 so far in a dozen trips out, and only a slightly sticking switch on my livewell timer was blameable on Ranger. (Even then, they didn’t manufacture the switch....) Problems with different electronic devices, radios, batteries, trolling motors, and so forth aren’t what I’d call Ranger problems, unless installation issues at their plant caused the problems (definitely not in my case). Also bear in mind that if we hear of more boat problems these days, maybe the main reason is that we simply hear more and hear faster these days, due to electronic communication. But boats are much more likely to exhibit problems as more pieces of equipment are bolted on. Fact of life.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Well said. I too bought a new Ranger this year, and of course follow other new Ranger owners’ experiences carefully. Not only will Ranger and a good dealer take care of every issue that pops up, but it’s important to realize that many, many components that give problems these days are used on a variety of boats, not just Rangers. I’ve had 5 or 6 issues with my 2018 so far in a dozen trips out, and only a slightly sticking switch on my livewell timer was blameable on Ranger. (Even then, they didn’t manufacture the switch....) Problems with different electronic devices, radios, batteries, trolling motors, and so forth aren’t what I’d call Ranger problems, unless installation issues at their plant caused the problems (definitely not in my case). Also bear in mind that if we hear of more boat problems these days, maybe the main reason is that we simply hear more and hear faster these days, due to electronic communication. But boats are much more likely to exhibit problems as more pieces of equipment are bolted on. Fact of life.
    And may I add to this if your on Face B Ranger really takes a lot of hits and most of those hits are so far out in left field any one with boat sense sees right threw it!!!!! For example a guy found a cut out from a drain in the bottom of his hull, claimed it bounced around destroying the stringers plus rattling, really bad mouthing,,,,,,,RT

5. Member
    Have owned four Rangers thru out the years. Picked up a new 2017 520c from Dixie Marine this winter. I have been all over the boat and I can assure you the quality is every bit as good as my previous boats, if not better. Have also owned a Triton and Stratos. Both fine boats but know where near Ranger quality.

6. Member
    I don’t believe there is any brand out there that will be 100% out of the factory. A good dealer makes the difference.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    I don’t believe there is any brand out there that will be 100% out of the factory. A good dealer makes the difference.
    Bingo

Look at the other brands. You have time. Love my Ranger but competition is good also. Don't forget Ranger service is A+.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

9. Banned
    I’m real pleased with mine

10. Member
    Knock on wood, but three months in and no problems on my 2018. Ok I did tighten a few screws around my trolling motor tray and reset a light in my water pressure gage.

I am going to have to have the dealer look at the stickers on my trailer coming off.

11. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I am happy to hear that people are still happy with their boats. It is scary spending 70k on something and it's not what it should be.
    Like I said earlier I have always loved ranger boats. I have always thought of them as the highest quality boat you could buy. But with the changes in ownership usually comes changes in the product.
    Next question is, get a 520 or 521? Lol

12. Banned
    If quality is your main focus I would look at Basscat. I am currently in a 2015 Ranger but have had both brands. Ranger has a better fishing platform...imo.

13. Member
    I bought a 2018 Ranger z521c 7 months ago and zero issues with the boat so far.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    If quality is your main focus I would look at Basscat. I am currently in a 2015 Ranger but have had both brands. Ranger has a better fishing platform...imo.
    Three Rangers and two Cats over the years...agreed. Obviously I like them both.

15. Member
    Have a 2018 z185, had it since September, a few small issues in the beginning, but like everyone said, a good dealer and all my issues are worked out. Really like my boat, saving only for a bigger one!