Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

What is the longest you have fought a fiah?

I watched my son fight a 35lb + Jack for well over a hour yesterday only for it to wear through the leader on my med action bass spinning Rod. Chased it with the boat for over a mile. At least we got.to see it as I was trying to net it.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

2. Member
    Fought a 30# striper for about 20 mins, with a 25# line rig. It was fun, with a couple of long runs. But the most fun, was another 20 min fight with a 11-12# alligator gar on a 4# ultralight rig, took a lot of finesse and feel to get him in.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

3. Member
    Very large Salmon on the Ausable river in Oscoda Michigan when I was 12. Took 15 mins to get it in and I had to be held by another fisherman because it was pulling me in the river. I weighed 75lbs wet back then. I ran all the way home with that fish to show my dad how big it was. Will never forget that day.

4. Member
    Fought a 35# carp on 6# braid /w a 1/8oz lightwire jig head on a ml rod on a wingdam for 25 minutes a couple falls ago. No idea how the rod, line or even the jig head didn't break first.

5. Member
    Fought a bull trout on a fly rod and it took about 15 minutes to get in.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    Fought a 35# carp on 6# braid /w a 1/8oz lightwire jig head on a ml rod on a wingdam for 25 minutes a couple falls ago. No idea how the rod, line or even the jig head didn't break first.
    I read an article in a fishing mag years ago that called the Carp “America’s fighting Fish”. The ones I’ve caught were always fun.

45 minutes or so on a 80 pound yellowfin tuna on light stand up gear
    HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER

8. Member
    Ive battled Tarpon for north of a hour a few times...my arms were done long before the fish was

Fought a 8ft bullshark for 90 mins and thought I was gonna die lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    Maybe 10 minutes is all. Fishing ky lake for red earnand catching some big channel cats on 4lb line and ultralight rods is fun. Just kinda let them tire themselves out

Never timed it---- seemed like hours.

12 lb cat, 8 lb mono----------- in a two man plastic boat (Sun Dolphin)

11. Member
    Yeah, I had a shark that took over an hour to get to the side of the boat once. I caught a large stripe from the bank fishing for crappie with 4 pound test. I do not know how long it took but it was probably over 20 minutes.

Close to 3 hours on a 755 lb Mako Shark.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Hooked and landed a 130+lb yellow fin on 25lb mono while jigging for black fin to use as cut bait. Fight lasted over three hours, I cannot count how many times I had that fish at the boat only for it to sound. Dam fish would not give up.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    Close to 3 hours on a 755 lb Mako Shark.
    Awesome fish right there!...huge speed and jumps
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

You're not kidding. When she first hit the bait, the line was still heading south and she was making her first jump to the west! Unfortunately, she hit about ten minutes before we had to head back in for the weigh-in. She would have took first place. She provided some great Mako steaks though and a guy at the dock gave us $7 a pound for the rest!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

16. Member
    Took at least 10 minutes for a 6 pound smallie on an ultra lite rod and 4 pound line! My longest fight was when I accidentally snagged a 10 pound carp in the tail in a shallow river bank fishing. Took well over 20 minutes and wading up and down the river several hundred yards. Hard to bring in when you can't turn their heads!

Once fought a 30 to 35 pound flathead for probably three hours on 6 lb test crappie fishing. Saw it a handful of times but didnt get it in. It would fight me a while then just stop and rest for a few minutes and I would just have to wait for it to start swimming again.

My PB northern pike 25 pounds on a medium light rod, 6 pound test Izorline Platinum, and no steel leader. I had the fish hooked in the tip of its upper jaw on an 1/8 once hair jig while smallie fishing on Georgian Bay. My buddy timed it and said I fought it 37 minutes. I also had to follow it with the trolling motor a good ways.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    1 hour plus,,,40 pound shovel head caught on 8 pound test and a road runner at Lake Elmer Thomas at Ft Sill Oklahoma.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

20. Member
    25 pound carp on #6 clear blue stren fishing line with a 7' light action spinning reel (my carp fun fishing rig) with homemade doughball, don't have the exact time but it was over half an hour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast