Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Boat Research- Power Poles v. Talons

I am beginning my research for a new boat, and am trying to determine if I will be adding Power Poles or Talons to the back of her. If you were in my shoes, what which anchor would you buy and why?

Thank you for the help!

2. Member
    I don't have either one but when I do purchase, the biggest thing for me is depth I fish. A lot of docks I fish are 10 to 15 fow.... So for me the extra 2 to 5 foot is helpful, but if I was fishing mostly shallower areas I might go with the poles.

Hard to give an exact answer when I don't know your needs...The main factors that would make my decision is how deep anchors do I need? How much garage door clearance do I have? How weight sensitive is my boat? Do I have room to mount hydraulic pumps or do I want to just simply hook up wires? There is pros and cons to both brands and a lot more factors into making a choice than what I listed but that would be my major deciding factors.

In a perfect world you would know people who have both brands and has no ties to either company and they gave you an honest answer with no hidden agenda. I have been in boats with both brands and I chose Talon but my situation may be different than yours. At the end of the day they both do the exact same job but there is differences in the two brands...just like debating is Lowrance or Hummnibird best...is Ford or Chevy best...is ribeye better than T-bone. We can debate Talon/PP all we want but I really think it comes down to what suits your personal needs the best.

4. Banned
    The guy on the back of my boat likes that the Talon is straight down under the boat rather than out behind the boat when fighting a fish; easier to control a big fish (and keep it from getting tangled in the anchor) when it's close to the boat.
    No hydraulics.
    Goes deeper.

Downsides to the Talon are that it's fairly heavy, and the weight is hanging off the back of the boat.
    Garage door height can be an issue.

5. Member
    Hands down for Talons. Used both and I prefer the talons

6. Member
    -
    Last edited by mrc; 07-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.

7. Banned
    I have a single 12' talon and had an 8' when the first came out. My next boat I will try the poles. I think the poles work better as a pair and a single Talon works better then a single pole. I have no complaints with the Talon other then it's very heavy.

8. Member
    I have twin. Blade pole love them and work great ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. Member
    I'm running a z19 with 2-10' talons and did not see any difference in speed.

Another issue you may want to consider. Reason I originally went with Talons is because I have a Phoenix for large lakes and a BassTracker for small hp lakes. It takes me about 5 minutes to switch the Talon from one boat to the other. Minn Kota has been top notch in taking care of the customer regarding any issues. I've heard Power Pole customer service is also top notch.

You will be surprised at how often you will use the E-anchors.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by justin92490 View Post
    I am beginning my research for a new boat, and am trying to determine if I will be adding Power Poles or Talons to the back of her. If you were in my shoes, what which anchor would you buy and why?

Thank you for the help!

We sell both and get this question ALOT!!

I always start with asking the customer what kind of boat he has and what does he fish... Each brand has its pro's and con's and each brand will fit different anglers and applications better. This question would be best discussed over the phone simply because of all the variables JMO..

Give me a call if you would like to discus options and application. 954-304-0206

Rich

I have an 18 and a half foot Ranger and there would be no room for. Power Pole pumps in the bilge area with what I already have back there. Talons don't interfere as much with fighting a fish around the back of the boat as a power pole would. I lost maybe 1.5 miles per hour on my top end with two 12 ft Gen 2 Talons on. If you have a garage clearance problem they make a tilt bracket where they fold down over the back deck of the boat. And lastly, with the quick release wiring harness you can remove them or transfer them to another boat as needed.Other than weight and impeccable customer service, I would prefer Talons.
    Last edited by scotti509; 06-03-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    Scott Inman

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Hard to give an exact answer when I don't know your needs...The main factors that would make my decision is how deep anchors do I need? How much garage door clearance do I have? How weight sensitive is my boat? Do I have room to mount hydraulic pumps or do I want to just simply hook up wires? There is pros and cons to both brands and a lot more factors into making a choice than what I listed but that would be my major deciding factors.

In a perfect world you would know people who have both brands and has no ties to either company and they gave you an honest answer with no hidden agenda. I have been in boats with both brands and I chose Talon but my situation may be different than yours. At the end of the day they both do the exact same job but there is differences in the two brands...just like debating is Lowrance or Hummnibird best...is Ford or Chevy best...is ribeye better than T-bone. We can debate Talon/PP all we want but I really think it comes down to what suits your personal needs the best.
    This is pretty good but, not many people will drop this much money and not be biased some...

in single forum I prefer talon, straight down deployment prevents a secondary source to loose pressure (my blades lean over and my transom moves left or right- this does not happen with talon)

dual anchors i will be getting 8' blades on my next boat I currently have dual 10's and in the past I had a single 12' talon

i never had an issue with the talon, I caused 2 issues myself with my blades and pp still warrantied the parts

if you need to anchor in 9' or more you need talons
    i prefer fishing 7' and less so I will save weight with pp and ultrex when deeper.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    I had 8' poles on my prior boat for five years and never had a issue. I could bump them down with the remote to enter the garage, the are light, they worked fine for the depth of water I wanted them for. I didn't have issues with hydraulic fluid in my boat. I purchased a boat 6 months ago with 12' Talons and had to remove them to get into the garage. That is when I realized how heavy they are. I picked up tilt brackets so I could get in the garage. I used these a few times and sold them. I don't like that much weight and bracketry on the back of my boat plus they slowed the boat down. I don't like the fact that I sometimes had to go back and see if they were up or down. I also don't care for how bulky they are.

I have had both and prefer the Talons hands down, they go straight down and don’t pull the boat back when they set like the articulating poles do. This is important to me when spring crappie fishing. you also have to slow the PP’s down to a crawl to keep from making a big splash. Power pole folks are wonderful and provide over the top service, so I would not criticize them at all, I just like the design of the Talons better. I have 2 - 12” Talons and very happy with the,. I bought them right before theyca,e of with the 15’s. I would have got the 15’s had they been available.

16. Member
    here are my reasons why I went with talons;
    - I need the extra depth
    - I have a 36v 101 ultrex and if I want power poles I would have to either move 1 battery to another compartment or go 24v system. (No room for pumps)
    - the 10ft power poles just sticks up way too high over the motor which I don't like.

Now if I fish mainly under 8ft and had rooms for 2 pumps I definitely wouldn't mind the 8ft power pole blades and it would probably be my choice.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

17. Member
    For those of you wanting to remove powerpoles quickly or just tilt them (like you can with talons and appropriate hardware) look no further! Quick disconnect hose fittings and brackets.

https://hydrillagear.com/shop/tiltremovable-bracket/

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    For those of you wanting to remove powerpoles quickly or just tilt them (like you can with talons and appropriate hardware) look no further! Quick disconnect hose fittings and brackets.

https://hydrillagear.com/shop/tiltremovable-bracket/
    Disconnects wont work with 2.0 model powerpoles.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Disconnects wont work with 2.0 model powerpoles.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    you could take your hoses to a hydraulic hose shop and have them add a set im sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast