Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I use the dobyns chatterbait rod which is a heavy glass rod. Also, in a tourney I was getting a lot of bites and missing them so I put a trailer hook on and ended up winning the tourney. If they are not eating well or come off suggest you try a trailer hook
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    Personally, I wouldn’t wait to hookset. The second i feel the bite I fire away. I use braid so I can feel any change in the vibration of the blade and so I won’t have any stretch in the line on the hookset. But the biggest factor for me with hook up ratio is the way I hookset. If I set it like a crankbait and sweep set like a crankbait, then a lot of the time I would only have the fish on for a few cranks of the reel before it would come off. But if I hookset straight up with the rod, I get em in the boat most every time.

Disclaimer: this insight is not meant to be construed as the “correct way” to hookset a bladed jig. It is solely meant as insight as to what has worked for others. Angler accepts sole responsibility for getting fish to the boat.

That helped me a lot more landing fish,by switching to mono and spinnerbait rod

4. Member
    I gotta stick one on a chatterbait before i can lose one...
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

5. Member
    I'm gonna try a different rod tomorrow. Very good info everyone

6. Member
    I fish mine in braid. If I get a bite, they get landed.

7. Member
    Need to use a med rod fast tip also prefer a 6.3 reel and my rods a 7.4. I fish bladed jigs 99% of the time here on the Potomac River. I used to use a M/H rod but changed to a med about 4 years ago because of losing fish. Very rare to loose a fish on a chatterbait now, It will happen from time to time but nowhere near as when I used a M/H rod. I also use 14lb mono.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Lots of good suggestions. I'm going to throw an off the wall one out there if you are still having issues. Did you try switching colors? I've seen it happen with crankbaits, they'd hit the bait but not fully commit, resulting in lost fish. Switch up colors, they'd eat it better and I'd land them. One day I was losing at least 50% of my bites, but I switched colors and my landing rate was more like 95%. It really surprised me that the change made that much of a difference.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

I use a daiwa tatula elite bladed jig rod and 15 lb braid. I can't think of any I have lost with this set up. For me it's perfect.
    Proud Army Dad

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Need to use a med rod fast tip also prefer a 6.3 reel and my rods a 7.4. I fish bladed jigs 99% of the time here on the Potomac River. I used to use a M/H rod but changed to a med about 4 years ago because of losing fish. Very rare to loose a fish on a chatterbait now, It will happen from time to time but nowhere near as when I used a M/H rod. I also use 14lb mono.
    Suppose it could come down to the setup. You using a M rod with 14 lb mono probably equates about the same as a M/H rod with 12 lb mono as far as give and feel. Also depends on who makes the rod. I use a Megabass Orochi XXX Super Orochi F5-68k.

11. Banned
    I'll contribute, using a Loomis IMX 7 foot MH/FAST with PP #50 braid out of 5 chatter bite I landed one a 7.83 missed the other 4.
    I'm now the owner of a St.Croix Avid Casting 7' Med Hvy Moderate taper using #15 Big Game mono. My substitute partner turned me on to it.

I could be completely wrong, but I have never understood this "wait and let them take it" line of thinking. I notice it a lot on frogs as well. I feel like I have no problem with hook/land on a frog or a bladed jig. A bladed jig and a flipping jig are probably my two most fished lures. As soon as I feel anything I slam the rod back. 7' MH graphite rod, 20 floro, 7.3:1 reel.
    Frogs are the same 50lb braid, 7' mh rod, as soon as it blows up, drop the hammer.
    I just don't see what I am supposed to be waiting for? If you feel/see anything, it's in their mouth. And rarely do I see them biting at the lure, something moving fast it seems to be engulfed or nothing. If your are missing fish I would change color or trailer before I would change rod set up.
    I will say I have seen all the videos with Brett Hite on using a glass rod and just reeling and letting the rod load. And I have no doubt that he has forgotten more about bladed jigs than I will ever know. No doubt everything he says is right on, but I just don't get it. And so far this works for me.

Joe

13. Member
    Tried a different rod today for my bladed jig. 19 of them decided to bite... 19 of them got in the boat. 100% today, yeah baby!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    Tried a different rod today for my bladed jig. 19 of them decided to bite... 19 of them got in the boat. 100% today, yeah baby!
    So what rod did you go with?

15. Member
    fish chatterbaits with a crankbait set up according to Brett Hite. flexible glass rod, no more than 6.3:1 reel and consider mono or 12 lb floro.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    fish chatterbaits with a crankbait set up according to Brett Hite. flexible glass rod, no more than 6.3:1 reel and consider mono or 12 lb floro.
    And for me I 100% disagree. Not saying that he nor anyone else doesn't know a lot more than me but I am opposite. If I had 1 strength/confidence bait it would be a bladed jig. I fish a MH Fast Graphite with 30lbs braid to 12-15lbs flouro leader and have more than a 98% hookup ratio. I also use a 7.3 and burn them almost all the time. I honestly can't recall an exact time losing a fish on that setup. I also can feel everything and enjoy the sensitivity while doing it. For me side sweeping hooksets are key. I fish with a couple guys who let their rod tips get high and lose bass that want to jump
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    So what rod did you go with?
    A 7'2 medium heavy moderate fast Falcon Swimjig rod

18. Member
    Rick clunn makes his own bladed jigs. He had a video out when he won his last elite. He shows the design flaw in bladed jigs out there in how the blade position affects hook sets.

19. Member
    I was having same issue. KEY is to set hook and reel hard till they get near the boat THEN play them out. I was setting hook and letting them swim while down there and they got off over and over, as aoon as I reeled them in hard till near the boat no more issues.

20. Member
    I use the same line with a Dobyn's 705 CB Glass. Versitile modestly priced rod that works great for square bills, swim jigs and bladed jigs. The softer tip lets them suck it in and the parabolic bends keeps them from throwing the hooks. Just make sure and sting em when you feel the pull.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast