Any help with Merc smart gauge?

Long story short. Last year I was running across rough water and my smart gauge shut off .Since then I havent been able to get it to turn on. I have checked wiring that may have come loose and every fuse I can find. I have spoke to a couple of people and it seems as if these things are bullet proof. I cant figure out my next step or what I should be looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Added from Post# 11
    Heres the Serial Number: 1B982239
    Model# 1251V13ED
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-19-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Have u check that there is power comming out of the main harness at the guage where it plugs in ?

Did you check the fuse? Did you check the power in and out of the fuse. Do you have power (source) on the Black, Purple, Red? Just had a customer that had a fuse that looked good and would flash the smartcraft on (sometimes). Changed out fuses and good. Check the circuit first!

4. Member
    Im ok with automobile motors but I'm not a marine mechanic by any stretch. Which fuse are you referring to? Do you know the amperage? Couldn't a person just check continuity on any fuse to see if it's good? I have heard simply unplugging everything and then plugging it back in can reset the system. Would anyone recommend this? Thank you for the suggestions.

5. Member
    By the way, does anyone have a schematic of these systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
    By the way, does anyone have a schematic of these systems?
    Really shouldn't need a schematic there's only I think seven wires come out of the main blue harness that plug into the back of the Eco monitor, if you have a Power Probe or test light one of those wires or two of those wires should either have power and ground with the key on if you have no power out of that main harness there's your problem

7. Member
    i will check thank you

8. Member
    I just checked the plug which attaches to the back of the monitor and found at least one wire with 12.8 volts coming from it. I also checked the purple, red and black wires and all three have power.

9. Member
    What year is the boat? If it was pre-rigged at the boat builder w/ the gauge package, warranty same on the rigging as the motor. 3yrs base, plus if you got it during a promo, may be 5yr?

Also, do your analog gauges work. Based on what you show there, you have the SC Analog interface. So, if the analog guages work, then you know the smartcraft network is good, and you are definitely looking at a gauge issue.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
    Long story short. Last year I was running across rough water and my smart gauge shut off .Since then I havent been able to get it to turn on. I have checked wiring that may have come loose and every fuse I can find. I have spoke to a couple of people and it seems as if these things are bullet proof. I cant figure out my next step or what I should be looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok guys- lots of helpful attempts above. What we MUST do is to start with the REQUIRED information before ANY further responses to this thread.

Kingpin- Please take a minute to review the Forum Announcements (up at the very top of this forum). Provide your engine Serial Number, and we'll be glad to assist you with some useful (and logical) steps.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Heres the Serial Number: 1B982239
    Model# 1251V13ED

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is a fuse holder at the engine PCM. Check for a 2 amp fuse that may be blown.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Ok, now the dumb question. Where is the fuse holder? I seen the block with several 20 amp fuses but I didnt notice the 2 amp holder. I only had a few minutes to search but figured it would be quicker to ask. If nothing else I will take a pic.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally in the primary fuse holder. Reference Owner's Manual for Fuse Locations.

15. Member
    It was in with the other fuses. I noticed the fuse cover only shoes 20 amp fuses. Should of looked anyways. After checking the 2 amp fuse, it was good. Shows continuity.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good- that's one step down. Run through the connections starting at the instrument and working back to the junction box.

Unplug the connector, inspect to make sure all pins are secure in the connector, then reconnect.

17. Member
    New Problem. Ran boat all day during fishing tournament, parked boat at dock Came out to leave and now boat doesnt start.
    A note on the original subject, I checked pins and everything seems to be solid.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sticky: SERIAL NUMBERS REQUIRED WHEN POSTING.

Disconnect and PROPERLY reconnect the Keyswitch Harness, and any Adapters used at the engine for the keyswitch harness.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Sticky: SERIAL NUMBERS REQUIRED WHEN POSTING.

Disconnect and PROPERLY reconnect the Keyswitch Harness, and any Adapters used at the engine for the keyswitch harness.
    It's in reply #11 Don (know you're busy catching up).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax