Compartment lights

Getting ready to do the LED lighting for my compartments on my boat. Would like to have the lights come on when the compartment of is raised. What kind of switch(switches)are being used for this. Will also do deck and live well lighting with a dimmer. Do you think it's nessassary to go with Blue Water or Ridgid brand. They are considerably higher priced than generic stuff. Any help is surely appreciated. Thanks, Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

I highly recommend Blue Water LED

Generally you get what you pay for. If I'm using or need the lights, I want them to work without fail.

Blue Water !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    There's a couple different ways to do the lights. Either a push switch like on a car door or a magnetic switch. As far as which brand I don't think it matters, I like oznium.

6. Member
    I seen some with what looks like a spring loaded rocker switch that is mounted in the fixed part of the compartment. Close the lid and the switch goes off, open the lid and the switch goes on. Go with good LEDs, like Bluewster, the cheap ones will get the job done but you will be replacing them in very short order.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    I seen some with what looks like a spring loaded rocker switch that is mounted in the fixed part of the compartment. Close the lid and the switch goes off, open the lid and the switch goes on. Go with good LEDs, like Bluewster, the cheap ones will get the job done but you will be replacing them in very short order.
    This is what I installed. Not a rocker switch but a push button switch, off when pushed, on when not. Mount on the boat edge around the locket. Close the lid and it turns the light off. Bought red led strips and mounted under the inside of the lockers. All from ebay. About $15 total and a little wire work.

8. Member
    They all work for a while, my bluewater's have been on my boat for 10 years and my truck for 4 with almost no issues. The cheaper ones that are also on my truck have been replaced twice in 3 years, the second time with bluewater's. They aren’t perfect, but I have spent much less time working on bluewater leds after the install. It all depends on how much your time is worth after the install. I like doing things once if at all possible.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO