115hp Optimax Shift Spline/Driveshaft Housing Issue

Hey,

Motor is a 2011 Mercury Optimax 115hp
    Serial is 1B863978

Ive attached two photos of the problem. I was removing the lower unit when i noticed it was split. Chances are i caused or broke the piece. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by dan111; 05-26-2018 at 05:56 PM.

2. Member
    To me it looks like if it cant be jb welded back together, i would need a whole new driveshaft housing.

Its strange that it doesnt slot back in nicely

Does anyone have a similar 75/90/115 opti that they could post a picture of in this area?
    Last edited by dan111; 05-26-2018 at 05:51 PM.

3. Member
    I know its a broken piece on your engine but purly cosmetic,wont hurt a thing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I have 115 optimax- I am trying to figure out where this piece is so I can post a pic.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. Another merc mechanic mentioned the same thing, wont hurt to drive it as is. But that the repair is a new driveshaft housing.

6. Member
    I was reattaching the lower unit. Tried in F and R to align the splines. Well no wonder i had issues, the lower units shaft doesnt even fit into the coupler. Can the couplers grooves be filed to make it fit the lower units shaft? Neither the shaft or the coupler look like their damaged.

I tried looking on a parts schematic and couldn't find this part, did Mercury change it by any chance?

Last edited by dan111; 06-06-2018 at 06:36 PM.

7. Member
    43585/ likely bur from install, might try a small file
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Filed it for a few minutes, fit right in. Had the boat out yesterday, all works. Thanks again. Siliconed that broken piece in and its solid as well.

9. Member