Talon spike not retracting?

Everything else works fine the spike won't move.
    Is there a way to manually retract?

2. Member
    Is this a gen one or 2?
    No way to manually deploy if the spike is stuck. More than likely you have something that is causing the spike not to deploy. Mud or trash is my first thought. If the second stage is deploying and the spike is not then then something is lodge in the second stage mechanical safety latch or the third stage if it is a gen 2.

3. Member
    Gen 2 was working fine then the spike just stopped working the spike is deployed and not retracting

4. Member
    Instructions are in the remote manual for retracting the Talon G2 manually
    Last edited by Real L; 05-29-2018 at 11:57 AM.

5. Member
    I currently have the same issue. The fiberglass stake will not retract and there is no way to manually retract it. The strange part is that it has happened with both Talons.....I found it odd that both Talons would not retract.

I tried to deploy them both in my driveway to clean them but they will not deploy now. Not sure if they need to be straight up and down or what. Calling Minn Kota at lunch and will report back if I get a fix.

M

Mine did that the first our I used them. It was odd because both deployed and then both got stuck with two lights on. One broke free and you could hear what sounded like sand inside. The other one would not retract. It would not extend or deploy and the spike stuck out. at the ramp if you disengaged the lock the second stage would deploy and that's it. Again would retract to the spike. You couldn't manually retract it either. Took in in for service and turns out sand/rocks got in there and jammed the third stage locking mechanism. I've had it back for two weeks no issue so far.
    2004 Triton TR21, 225 proxs

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    Mine did that the first our I used them. It was odd because both deployed and then both got stuck with two lights on. One broke free and you could hear what sounded like sand inside. The other one would not retract. It would not extend or deploy and the spike stuck out. at the ramp if you disengaged the lock the second stage would deploy and that's it. Again would retract to the spike. You couldn't manually retract it either. Took in in for service and turns out sand/rocks got in there and jammed the third stage locking mechanism. I've had it back for two weeks no issue so far.
    Your issue sounds just about like mine to a T. I'll bet there's a few pebbles stuck in there somewhere causing it to jam up. Thanks for the additional info...

M

8. Member
    Found my problem dirt and sand got it cleaned up working fine now
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by ROLO 5 FISH View Post
    Found my problem dirt and sand got it cleaned up working fine now
    Thanks for the help
    A friend dropped mine off for me so I didn't get to talk to them directly. He had the Talon pulled apart before he figured out the issue. How did you guys clear it? Thank goodness I had the tilt brackets. Don't know what I would of done with out them.

Same thing happened with my new 15' Talon yesterday (third time on the water) . Pulled up the MK website to download the owners manual and followed the instructions. Even though I followed the directions; it did not seem to release and go into "Manual retraction mode". Still couldn't get it to budge. Finally decided to disconnect it from the battery (quick release disconnects made it easy). Reconnected, pushed and held the "UP" button and finally got it into "manual" mode. Used 7/16" socket and turned it clockwise and retracted it. After fully retracted, hit the remote button and deployed it....worked fine. If it continues to happen, will contact MK tech support and ship it to them for repairs. Tilt brackets allowed me to lay it onto the deck and drive back to the ramp and load it on the trailer.

11. Member
    I could not get my stake to retract and can't get the 2nd stage to deploy, there is something binding the 2nd stage and spike. I took the boat to my dealer and they are waiting on parts from Minn Kota.

I will report back once I find out what the issue was.

M

12. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Keep my fingers crossed my 12’ footers still working good after a couple years. At ramp parking lot I titled mine let them out one at a time and cleaned real good with WD40 last week, I do that probably 3 times a year at least.