Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Portable Ice Machine

Considering buying an ice machine for the house. Use lots of ice in the summer. Cost is around $250. Anyone have one.

2. Banned
    I don't have one but I've looked into them several times. Most in that price range produce about 12 lb in 24 hours. I'm not sure that's convenient enough for the price and the next level up are all $5-700. Interested in responses here.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Pulled the trigger on a NewAir Ice machine from HD. On sale for $209. Says it will make 50lbs a day. Gets great reviews. Free shipping too.

4. Banned
    Got one also. We use a lot of ice works great.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a NewAir Ice machine from HD. On sale for $209. Says it will make 50lbs a day. Gets great reviews. Free shipping too.
    Looking for this now!

6. Member
    Have a crappie day

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookin'&Cookin' View Post
    I got the stainless one for $209

I like my Manitowoc. Makes 400 lbs in 24 hrs.

Check the classifieds in your area under restaurant supplies, you can sometimes find some good used commercial units for a decent price.

I have friend who did this and no regrets ^^^^

11. Banned
    Remember to clean these guys. Every month or so. Ice machines get nasty inside. The bigger the machine the worse it is.

I have one. It's the same type ice maker that's in your freezer. Does a really good job.

I have 18 old school ice cube trays in my outside freezer
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

14. Banned
    The really good ice machines drop fresh ice on top of.melting ice, and they require drains. The inside of the rig is not even refrigerated. I don't as much ice as they produce.

We have a simple $100 table top ice machine in our RV that makes plenty of ice for day to day use. I will just fill it up with water every couple of days.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Remember to clean these guys. Every month or so. Ice machines get nasty inside. The bigger the machine the worse it is.
    Thought about getting one myself, Until I decided the extra work just wasn't worth it, purchase price and the electricity to run it. Thats a lot of ice to be bought

If more people saw the inside of ice machines at restaurants they would even get ice .. amazing how slimy they can get from ice !

One of the first things the health inspector looks at in a bar/restaurant. My son empties his and cleans it once a week. A Commerical one is very expensive, they are also expensive to service/repair. He leases his, a 3 month old machine quit working on a Saturday evening, he bought $25 worth of ice to get him through the night. Sunday the company exchanged the machine and given the receipt they deducted the cost of the ice off his lease that month. Ice machine and bar dishwashers are better off leased

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    If more people saw the inside of ice machines at restaurants they would even get ice .. amazing how slimy they can get from ice !
    They usually test higher for bacteria than toilet water.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    They usually test higher for bacteria than toilet water.
    You've got to consider who's getting ice from the bin and also the water supply and who's taking care of that. Never had any problem with my commercial unit. Did, however, see what an unmaintained ice maker looks like where I used to work. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with their filthy paws in it on a day to day basis and relatively no maintenance to the machine made an environment that grew some awful looking black mess that kept me from partaking of any ice from that machine. I take care of mine and and don't let it grow unknown life for my consumption. It is miraculous however, where junk will grow at really cold or really hot conditions. I for one don't want to consume them. Maybe all life forms came from a glacier. Just cutting up on that last remark. Believe but believe I can cut up too.