Recording Helix Sonar

I have a pair of Helix 10's and want to capture 2D sonar for use with AutoChart Live and AutoChart Pro. I have a 16 GB SD card for each unit, and also have a couple of ZLC's. My thought is to capture the 2D sonar directly to the SD card rather than the ZLC. I would prefer that things like 2D sonar and screenshots not pollute the ZLC's. Perhaps I am over thinking this and writing stuff to the ZLC's is not a big deal. I'm open to suggestion gentlemen.

How do I tell the Helix to write 2D sonar directly to the SD card?

How do I set up the Helix to save the ACL data directly to the ZLC in the second slot rather than write to internal memory and then transfer it to the ZLC at the end of the day?

Should I just not worry about it and write all data to the ZLC?

The unit has a RECORD function. It writes the data to a RECORD folder on a regular memory card.
    That function is in the Snapshot and Recording view. You can play back those recordings on the unit or with the third party software HumViewer with Side Imaging units, there are other viewer softwares available also. You have to STOP recording to retain the data on the card. RECORD files have to be processed by either Auto Chart or Auto Chart Pro, then copied to a Zero Line card to use in the units as Lakemaster mapping.

If you want to write Auto Chart Live directly to a Zero Line card, just put the card in the unit and start Auto Chart Live. You have to STOP ACL to retain the data--same as using the internal memory.
    Auto Chart Live data is overlayed on whatever background mapping you are using.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I'll try the RECORD function to record the 2D sonar to the SD card. So if I understand correctly, as long as I have a ZLC in the unit, ACL will write data to that card. Many thanks for the clarification and have an awesome holiday weekend.

4. Member
    As Wayne said, you MUST stop the recording, BEFORE powering off the sonar, or you will lose some part of the recording. I don't have a Helix, on my Solix, I can specify WHICH SD card to save sonar recordings to. I have two SD card slots in my unit. I save recordings to a blank SD card, not my ACL card.

There are two possible downsides to saving to the ACL card. 1: it fills up (I think that'd be a LOT of record time). 2: the ACL SD card's lifetime will be decreased with the increase in recording. This is also probably a low chance of happening. OK-3: You might accidently erase ACL data when working with recordings.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply skid. As far as filling up the card, that is why I wanted to save 2D sonar to the SD card, and the ACL data to the ZLC. My understanding is that the 2D sonar takes up most of the space, so I would prefer to put that on the SD card rather than the ZLC. Once I have the 2D sonar on the SD card and ACL data on the ZLC, I'll import into AutoChart Pro and make my maps, them export them to the ZLC. If I want to save the data, I can save it to a specific subdirectory on my hard disk. Sound like I'm going in the right direction? I'm an AutoChart Pro virgin so just trying not to make too many mistakes.