2000 Tr20 with 150?(looking to buy)

Hey guys, take it easy on me.... I’ve currently fished fished from a 1992 Ranger 361 for 21 years. The boat has served me very well. Now that my 11 year old son has started fishing(and we always have an extra friend), I’am ready for something bigger. I’ve found a local 2000 Triton Tr20 with a Mercury XR6 150, and is owned by a local man that is in GREAT condition. This is by far the cleanest 2000 model boat I’ve ever seen. I know the boat has lived a extra easy life, and no tournament fishing(it don’t even have graphs)! I’ve got some serious reservations about the boat being powered by a 150(which i feel is underpowered?). Can anyone give any input from previous experience, or any opinions?

I would also like to know the specs on the 2000 Tr20, but can’t seem to find anything? Any input or opinions would be great! Thanks!

I want to say it was 19’10”. Rated for a 200 but will be ok with a 150. It should run mid to upper 50’s with the 150.

3. Member
    I have to disagree Jason. I have a 2015 189 w 150 and with low fuel, no gear and just me I can just barely squeak out 54. I think she is way under powered.

4. Member

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Surprisingly, the boat came out of the hole really well with at least 40 gallons of fuel, full live wells, and 2 adults and my 11 year old son. It topped at 53 mph, but that was all she had. I believe the boat is slightly underpowered, but should serve us well for a few years! The boat was owned by 2 older guys, and is the cleanest used boat I’ve ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by walker07 View Post
    Thanks guys. Surprisingly, the boat came out of the hole really well with at least 40 gallons of fuel, full live wells, and 2 adults and my 11 year old son. It topped at 53 mph, but that was all she had. I believe the boat is slightly underpowered, but should serve us well for a few years! The boat was owned by 2 older guys, and is the cleanest used boat I’ve ever saw.
    Good deal. What color is it? The only reason I ask is I took one on trade years ago and sold it to someone in that area. I did run the boat when I took it on trade back when I was in the boat business. That’s where my info came from. Just wondering if it was the same boat. I hope you enjoy it.

7. Member
    I hate to say it but it's way under powered for that size boat. I would say you should be lucky if you hit 50 mph with a 150 HP engine.

8. Member
    I have a 2000 tr20 with 200hp Yammie great hole shop runs about 70 plus yes unpowered

9. Member
    I'd have to second the underpowered statements. I own a '01 TR20, which is rated to 225.. It had a 2.5L 200 EFI that would hit 68 very light.. loaded 62-64.. Repowered, due to blown engine, to a '13 200 ProXS.. world of difference in engines. 70.6 with all gear, empty wells, 1/4-1/2 tank fuel, and same prop.. Full tourney load and two guys, 65-68 depending on chop and air temp... if I'd have the prop worked, prolly a couple more mph. Only regret when repowering, I didn't go ahead and get the 225 ProXS. Solid boat though, never been wet in it, handles rough water very well... Hope this helps.
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

10. Member
    Summer time heat is going to slow you down a bit as I have trouble with a full tourney load and full live wells with a 24 tempest plus prop on my tr186 and xr6. I would keep the prop size at 23 or less to help with the hole shot in the summer heat