A question for other DEALERS (possibly Don?) v-8 4 stk

Does ANYONE know if the v-8 lower unit has the same bolt pattern as the 3.0L opti's and verado's? I know it is a different spline than the opti's and possibly the same as the verado's but the shift shaft is different (non splined) THOSE FACTS I KNOW. I just need to know if the bolt patter is the same so I can stop our (modification) in it's tracks! My new motors aren't due in for four more weeks and it's killing me to not know (yes or no) DON?

2. Member
    The new V8 gearcases all have an electronic shift unit mounted where the old shift shaft would go. They are the same bolt pattern, but are a bit longer in length. Internally I believe they’re the same parts as Verado L6.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is my understanding as well.

Edit- Having laid eyes and hands on a few, the TM Gearcase used on the Fourstrokes shares some similarities, but is actually quite different in the driveshaft, shift shaft, and water inlet areas.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-26-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, when I get my new boat with the 250 Pro XS 4 stroke the spare lower from my 250 Pro XS 2 stoke will not fit?
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

Yes Shef your lower unit will not work. I am working on trying to have a "kit" to change that!

Don I have everything figured out EXCEPT the shift shaft problem! Do you know if it would be possible to change the new (v8) shift shaft with the older style splined shaft?

BTW I am doing this for personal benefit as well, as they are NOT making a 1:62 gear set at this time and I was trying to get my 3.0L sporty to work with my new 300R. I have a lot of customers as well that will not purchase one until a 1:62 set or (1:61) is out!

8. Member
    There is a whole bunch of guys that won't buy them until the gear sets come out ! Especially Bullet guys. It took a $5000 custom CNC Mercury racing prop to run 103 on the Bullet SST. People aren't going to pay that for a prop. I heard the 1.62 supposed to be out in December though

I understand that Mercury doesn't have the 1:62 gearing. Consumers that need it must ALSO understand Mercury did not design these for the sole purpose of Bullets and to go as fast as possible. The test was done on a Bullet but fairly light as well. I know Paul and that boat wasn't loaded down for a tournament. For those seeking high speeds with a very lightweight hull I suggest you stay with the Opti's or 300x motors. I have an enormous number of (non Bullet customers) that fish regularly with heavy loads and not 80-100mph boats that have ordered the new motors. I am a go fast guy but being tournament loaded is the normal practical situation and not being "light as possible". Bullet owners must understand Mercury did not make these specifically for them and they will come out with a solution for the go fast people.

I am trying to make a kit that will let people convert a "backup" lower unit or convert a sporty with a different ratio to a V-8. I have 2 sportys I personally won't be able to use with my new motor. Hopefully the shift shaft will not stand in my way.

Quote Originally Posted by 21 BULLET View Post
    There is a whole bunch of guys that won't buy them until the gear sets come out ! Especially Bullet guys. It took a $5000 custom CNC Mercury racing prop to run 103 on the Bullet SST. People aren't going to pay that for a prop. I heard the 1.62 supposed to be out in December though

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNFMarineSVCS View Post
    I understand that Mercury doesn't have the 1:62 gearing. Consumers that need it must ALSO understand Mercury did not design these for the sole purpose of Bullets and to go as fast as possible. The test was done on a Bullet but fairly light as well. I know Paul and that boat wasn't loaded down for a tournament. For those seeking high speeds with a very lightweight hull I suggest you stay with the Opti's or 300x motors. I have an enormous number of (non Bullet customers) that fish regularly with heavy loads and not 80-100mph boats that have ordered the new motors. I am a go fast guy but being tournament loaded is the normal practical situation and not being "light as possible". Bullet owners must understand Mercury did not make these specifically for them and they will come out with a solution for the go fast people.

I am trying to make a kit that will let people convert a "backup" lower unit or convert a sporty with a different ratio to a V-8. I have 2 sportys I personally won't be able to use with my new motor. Hopefully the shift shaft will not stand in my way.
    Why not have a boat that can be tournament loaded in the 90's?
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RNFMarineSVCS View Post
    Don I have everything figured out EXCEPT the shift shaft problem! Do you know if it would be possible to change the new (v8) shift shaft with the older style splined shaft?
    Not seen parts schematic for that area/comparison.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-26-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Having seen enough of these to compare cases, I personally wouldn't be trying to "adapt" one to the other's application. Pretty significant differences just in the case.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Having seen enough of these to compare cases, I personally wouldn't be trying to "adapt" one to the other's application. Pretty significant differences just in the case.
    Did you ever figure out if it is possible to put a new sportmaster from V8 on the 225HP V6?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Theoretically speaking- it appears that it "could" be done.

I would recommend reviewing the Engine Warranty Section of the Owner's Manual (specifically the exclusions section as relates to use of a Racing Gearcase and/or Modification of the Product).