Trolling motor wiring help

I Have a 96 221 that had an old Motor Guide 36 volt electric steer(I think the original electric steer). It died last fall. I just mounted a 24v. Terova. Not ideal for the big water but it is what I have from another boat and I can not afford a new 36v. When I looked at the female side of the plug it states 12/24, but I know I was running in 36v. Can I just connect the positive to the negative wires on the driver side and hook up the two batteries on the passenger side as normal and have 24 volt? How to test voltage at the female end?

2. Member
    Pretty sure the MG had a 50 AMP breaker, the terrova, depending on model may require a 60 AMP breaker.

24 volt battery wiring..

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    Thank you. The question is how is it wired under the deck, I am assuming the current was running through all three, so is it ok to just connect a negative an positive up or downstream in the circuit to create one wire? Also, and hypothetical, how was it wired from the factory? Was 36v a thing in 1996? I am old enough to know, but to old to remember

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Provide us a picture of how the batteries are wired in back and it will be easier to tell you what changes to make. Also are you currently using the TM plug on the bow for your 36v TM? If so, you probably just need to move the black wire running to the front of the boat to the negative post of your middle battery. The 12/24 switch on the bow was probably bypassed at some point. Ideally, it would be best to hard wire the TM at the bow instead of using the plug.

5. Member
    Does your 221 have 2 40 amp breakers in the battery compartment like mine does?

6. Member
    I would check the wiring that you have and see if it is sufficient for your new TM. Mine wasn't heavy enough gauge wire so I just ran new wires and put in a new breaker. I had a 12/24 system and I believe MK told me that it was changed to 24v inside the plug. I'd just run new wire to be safe since it is fairly cheap and easy. The newer motors are so efficient and usually more powerful that the older motors, I'm sure you'll be fine with the 24v system.