Question 250 HPDI VZ250TLR Charging Issues

I have a 05 HPDI 250 that has started to have charging issues

Prior to this season the voltage gauge would always read close to or at 14v

But at the start of this season the majority of the time the voltage is reading in the low 12’s (tested with voltmeter at battery) but once and a while no rhyme or reason it will jump up to 13 to 13.5

Motor is running just fine I figured I would see the RPM’s drop or rough running but none of that I can run for miles at WOT with no issues other than no charging

Mechanic looked at it and said he saw the same voltage issues at first but found a lose connection at the rectifier/regulator and after that it seems to start charging but he never saw more than 13v

He said he thinks the regulator/rectifier is going but didn’t want to do it if he was seeing 13v

So today I turn the key see 13v but as soon as I fire it up on the water the voltage starts to drop like the motor is running off the battery

And from use of the trim and electronics it gets lower by the hour

Sounds as if I need to check these connections myself

Couple weeks ago I bought a brand new interstate group 31 cranking battery that shows 13.2 at full charge thinking my battery was going bad and still see this issue

Anyone ever have this issue?

any help would be appreciated
    "The handicapped angler"

Well I've looked at all the connections of the Rectifier/regulator and they are all tight, clean and like new

Anyone have a service manual for this motor that can tell me other than the Rectifier/regulator and Stator is there anything else I should be looking at?
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Starting with the basics did you load test the battery. A bad/shorting cell would give you the exact same symptoms.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

Quote Originally Posted by Reata210 View Post
    Starting with the basics did you load test the battery. A bad/shorting cell would give you the exact same symptoms.
    That is the first thing I did I took it to a distributor and had them do the test and they told me "Like New" Better be I got it just a couple months ago

I need to give a shout out to Texas Larry for a lot of help!
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Seems like a short somewhere in the charge loop. I would check the resistance in all the wires associated, especially the wires that run through the rigging hose/loom. Those have a tendency to chafe and easily short. If all the wires and connections check out then you’re left with the regulator/rectifier.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

Quote Originally Posted by Reata210 View Post
    Seems like a short somewhere in the charge loop. I would check the resistance in all the wires associated, especially the wires that run through the rigging hose/loom. Those have a tendency to chafe and easily short. If all the wires and connections check out then you’re left with the regulator/rectifier.
    Good plan

I just got the wiring diagram so now I know what wires I'm looking for
    "The handicapped angler"

Follow up

After checking all the wires in the rigging tube and the control unit and start switch

I broke down and purchased the Rectifier / Regulator

Installation wasn't that bad I was surprised to find out that it is water cooled and the tel-tail comes for this

biggest worry was the 3 green connections from the Stator they are all the same and I couldn't find any info to say they needed to be in any particular order so I numbered then before disconnecting them and made sure I connected them in the same configuration on the new one

took about an hour

went to the ramp and put the key in and fingers crossed I turned the key

an alarm went off as soon as I turned the key freaking me out till I remembered the kill cord is attached to my life jacket in the truck DOH!

After retrieving the cord and a couple deep breaths I turned the key again and she fired right up and the volt meter went straight to 14.5 volts and sat there steady as can be

went out today for 7 hours and was pleased to see the voltage stayed consistent all day

"The handicapped angler"

Water cooled huh? I think that might be my problem. Mine overheated not long ago and seems to not charge since it happened. I was wondering what that hose was for.

9. Member
    My 07 200 hpdi is doing the same thing seems to be around 13-13.5 cold and wot after a short run it settles around 13. with the two solix 12s after a 8 hour tournament it never shows over 12.6-12.9ish running. How much was the regulator and wheres the best place to purchase one i've tryed googling it with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxmandan View Post
    My 07 200 hpdi is doing the same thing seems to be around 13-13.5 cold and wot after a short run it settles around 13. with the two solix 12s after a 8 hour tournament it never shows over 12.6-12.9ish running. How much was the regulator and wheres the best place to purchase one i've tryed googling it with no luck.
    Yea mine would fluctuate and would rarely get above 13 volts

Mine is an 06 and parts cost $350.00 from boats.net
    They always seem to have the best prices on Yamaha parts
    https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha

parts should be under Electrical 3
    Looks like the prices for the 07 are the same but part numbers are a little different
    (diagram looks the same)

Note: you would think Yamaha would sell it as an assembly but they don’t

I had to buy the following parts

1 rectifier/regulator part #1
    1 Plate/gasket part #2
    1 Cover part #3
    4 Bolts part #4

Installation takes about an hour and isn’t that hard to do

Here are a few tips

Remember to disconnect the battery

Take a photo of the motor prior to removing the regulator just to see how the wire weaves through all the other systems wiring – 2 red wires that go behind the fuse box is the most difficult

Stuff some rags in the lower cowling below the area you’re working so no bolts/parts fall in there
    (Learned the hard way)

I numbered the 3 green connections to the stator so I could connect them in the same order
    They say there is no set order but I figure why change what worked

Make sure you get the plate/gasket aligned correctly to match the inner divider

Make sure you get the rubber gasket under the fuse box seated correctly when you reinstall

Remember to reconnect the battery

New rectifier should put out 14.5 volts
    "The handicapped angler"

Ordered mine on ebay, used, because in the great white north it's $400 and back ordered. Ordered the one on ebay last week, it's coming in next week.
    Seems easy to change. Took the old one out and put it back in for practice lol